1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn to beds...Rotovate with Mypex or Remove turf altogether?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by artygardener, Mar 10, 2016.

1. artygardener

artygardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I am new to the forums! Firstly I just want to say hello! I am an avid gardener/Landscaper and would love to give advice or help where I can. I have a slight problem which i would like advice for. I haven't been able to find the same problem in the forums.

I have some large areas of turf that I would like to turn to planter beds for some hardy shrubs instead. The soil has a high clay content and is topped with bark mulch everywhere there are beds already. I have identified the turf as either
    Tufted Hair grass or Fine Fescue - I'm guessing this would have been put down due to the poor drainage of the soil underneath.
    Now I was wondering if I could save a big amount of time by rotavating the areas I want to change to beds, planting the shrubs and then covering the rest of the bed with mypex or weed control fabric so that the grass doesn't return. Rather than the latter, which would be to take the top level of grass off manually and then taking it elsewhere (this will take a very long time, especially because of the clay content in the soil and the deep roots of this particular kind of grass)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,708
    Dig trench and put spoil to one side. Then dig parallel trench tipping into first with grass at the bottom. Last open trench fill with first.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,566
    Welcome to GC artygardener. :)

If you don't mind using chemicals, Round-up or a weed killer containing glyphosate will kill the grass and it's roots, but neutralise on soil contact. Then you could rotavate the grass back in when it's dead without the fear of re-growth. Be careful with glyphosate, it will kill or damage nearly everything it touches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I did exactly what Sheal suggested in my old house with the old lawn. Gave it a couple of doses of Roundup, left it it for a week or so. Raked out some of the old stuff when levelling and then reseeded and I never had a problem.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1