Lawn top dressing: What does it do?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Canucks72, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very small area of lawn in the back garden... it looks okay to be honest, it's been there forever and I've been looking after it for the last five. It's quite a course grass and gets a mow once a week (all of ten mins work if that), so it's fairly low maintenance. It's a nice dark green even colour, if anything it just has little dry white blades peppered all over it, but no major problems.
    But I hear about "top dressing", sharp sands, or dressing soils, or a mixture. What is the benefit of this? Does it improve a lawn like mine or would it just be a waste of effort?
    As I say I'm not concerned about the lawn so it was mainly an idle curiousity. And if I should give it a try, do I just go for some sharp sand, or a bit of nice topsoil and sand mix?
    Just wondering what the whole point of top dressing is really!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    I'll start by saying I'm no expert on the subject, but my lawn has always been pretty dire until I took an interest in it. It is now far from perfect but a massive improvement on what it was.

Here's what I've learnt on the subject:

Firstly, the soil that the lawn sits in becomes very compacted over time, especially at the surface where a crust can form. This stops air from flowing and causes rainwater to just sit on the surface. Moss thrives on this, and quickly takes over. Regular aeration (sticking your fork in every few feet) helps, as does raking (which also rips out the thatch, ie dead grass), but doesn't solve the problem. Top dressing with sharp sand makes the surface drain better and also creates an environment that moss doesn't like. Top dressing with good soil or anything with nutrients in it acts as a slow release feed for the grass, as well as reducing compaction and keeping the air circulating around the roots.

3. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent explaination clueless, that sums it up perfectly.
    I have no moss on my lawn and it drains well so it's not something that I need to do by the sounds of it.
    Thanks for taking the time to post that, cheers. :thumb: