1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn using seed help

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Mohsin Khan, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Mohsin Khan

Mohsin Khan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

I am new to Gardeners corner and to overall gardening as a whole. I have an area in my back garden that does not receive much light and the grass in that area is very weak and uneven. I am planning to use grass seeds to re sow the lawn. However, given I am a noob, I am a bit confused about few things as different guides provide different guidelines! Can you please help me with questions below?

1) While preparing the ground for seeding, do I need top soil after digging the existing lawn?

2) Do I need to wait after digging the existing lawn and removing weeds? Some guides say you do need to while others dont!

3) If I start on this weekend (30 March), is this appropriate time to start preparation and sowing process?

4) Lastly, where can I get best seeds for Shady grass? At the moment I selected them from LawnSmith website. (not sure if it is a reputable brand).

Thanks everyone and apologies in advance for too many questions.

IMG-20190325-WA0001.jpg IMG-20190325-WA0003.jpg IMG-20190325-WA0004.jpg IMG-20190325-WA0006.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Mohsin :)
    Welcome:)
    Hmmm! I love my lawns and always suggest folks have an area of grass if possible in their gardens but even a shade mixture could struggle there.
    Perhaps others will suggest shade mixtures and you could try them but have you thought of an alternative to grass? Not keen on artificial grass but it is an option. Gravel? How about planting the area with shade loving plants? :)