1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns and a Confession.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by MountainMike, Aug 21, 2021.

1. MountainMike

MountainMike Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly a confession from a new member. I don't really consider myself a gardener; having no real interest in things horticultural. At home I mow the lawn and trim the hedge. Beyond that I have other priorities as to how I spend my leisure time.

Now down to business. An area of our lawn, about 10 square yards, is in a bad way. It seriously need levelling, one corner being about six inches lower than the rest. Due to the existence of two manhole covers it has always proved very difficult to mow. There are numerous weeds. Having just had the rest of the garden professionally landscaped the problem area now sticks out like a sore thumb.

I am tackling the manhole covers by renovating their concrete surrounds. I then plan to raise the level of the whole area so that it is "flush" with the manhole covers. This will be done with a bulk supply of top soil topped with turf.

Removal of the existing "grass" is not something I relish doing; the area is a bit too "fiddly" to get a clear run with a rotovator.

My question, therefore, is would it be feasible to rake as much rubbish as I can from the existing surface and the lay the top soil followed by the turf.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MountainMike

Ratings:
    +0
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I would kill off the existing lawn with something based on glyphosate, Roundup for example. Do follow the instructions as it kills everything. Wait a couple of weeks before getting the topsoil in. Yes get rid of anything that can be easily raked off , wait till after the weedkiller has done its work.

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
  5. MountainMike

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - much what I was thinking

6. MountainMike

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG-20210821-WA0001.jpeg

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    If you're topping up the levels a decent amount, and you look like you will then no real reason to apply weedkiller first.

8. MountainMike

Ratings:
    +0
    A further question about my lawn project please. Could anyone tell me what weight and size turf comes in and is it straightforward to lay it?
    Thanks.