1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns and pollinator-friendly plants that grow in them

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Nikolaos, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,288
    Hi All,

I was thinking about this subject recently and would love your feedback! Considering the fact that more and more of us are gardening for pollinators and wildlife in general, what plants are worth keeping in our lawns and what plants should we be getting rid of when they first appear due to their invasiveness? My 'lawn' has been left to do its own thing for the last three weeks and is currently a carpet of Trifolium repens (White Clover), I wouldn't have it any other way with all the bees on it! :) One I'm a bit concerned with ATM is Prunella vulgaris (Selfheal), I've had it appearing here and there for the last couple of years but will it spread much more if longer gaps are left between mowings? Supposed to be good for butterflies and bees but I haven't really seen much activity around it! :scratch: Any pollinator-friendly plants you're really glad you've kept in your lawns and any you seriously regret?

Thanks,

Nick

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I don't have a lawn, but on allotment paths I encourage Bugle, Selfheal and Ground Ivy, but they do need strimming (as high as possible) to keep the paths in order and I might 'miss' the best bits.

White Clover gets a bit high, but is around until it gets strimmed. I think Red Clover is better but is far too big.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Thanks @Scrungee, do you get any butterflies on your Bugle? I haven't had a single one visit mine! :frown::noidea:

:ideaIPB: That sounds like the perfect plant to introduce to my garden, my wildlife gardening book says early Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks like it, the only one I currently have which really pulls in Spring butterflies is Aubrieta deltoidea!

Yes, I think you're probably right about that in terms of butterflies, was actually trying to find out which clover is best for them the other day, after looking at quite a few photos they usually seem to be on Red or Zigzag Clover (the latter is the one recommended for them by my book). :dunno:

Nick

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I've seen Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells and Bee Flies on the Ground Ivy, can't remember what's been on Bugle, seen Common Blues and Small Heaths on White Clover, and Painted Ladies, Peacocks, Skippers and Meadow Browns on Red Clover.

• Informative Informative x 1