1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Laying a new lawn on soil with rubble

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Darren Hales, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Darren Hales

Darren Hales Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We move into a house two years ago and the garden was pretty much all lawn. Over the two years we have re-built the house and what was the lawn is now a mixture of soil (a lot of what had been excavated for foundations elsewhere) mixed with bits of rubble (picture attached).

I can remove by hand most of the large rubble and stones, and thought I could get a digger in to level the soil, but wanted some advice of what else I would need to do to lay a new lawn.

I would like the lawn to look great quality and even all over, as well as being completely flat.

Being a complete novice to this, I have the following questions:
    - Assuming the soil is leveled with a digger, do I then need to rotovate it?
    - Do I need to remove every stone from this soil, or just the bigger pieces?
    - I assume I would need topsoil, but roughly how much (the lawn will be around 10 metre square)?
    - What times of year are best to seed the lawn?

Any advice very gratefully received!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Darren Hales

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - to add to this, we currently have lots of thistles, stinging nettles and other things growing in this area. Does laying grass stop these growing through, or is there something else I would need to do first?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,167
    Spray with glyphosate first whilst they are still growing, this will kill them down to their roots.

I can't see you need a digger for such a small area, provided you are reasonably fit you can do it all by hand - dig it over first then use a big plank or ladder or something to help you get it level.

All stones above the size of pebble.

What is your existing soil like? From the photo it doesn't look too bad.

March and October - but now is good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Darren Hales

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow, thanks you for all these responses, really handy.

The soil I think is probably okay - it's quite hard at the moment with the weather we have been having, but apart from that it's all stuff that came out of the ground where there was previously grass growing.

Will/does topsoil help at all?

• JWK

Ratings:
      +46,167
      If its good stuff it might help, trouble is all I ever see being sold is rubbish. A decent loam soil is the best but there are no standards so you could end up with a tonne of sand mixed with green waste described as 'loam'. At least it would be easier to spread and level. By the looks of it your existing soil is quite high, if you got topsoil would you need to scrape off what you already have and get rid of it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Darren Hales

Ratings:
        +0
        We have a trade independent garden supplier on our road (Landcare, Old Sodbury), so hopefully whatever we buy would be the 'good stuff'!

Our garden is sloped, and we are looking to level the grass area, so the large pile you mentioned will be spread and evened out, and then the thought was to apply top soil on top of this.

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +745
        If you are in a hurry you could use rolls of turf it is fairly expensive £2.20 per sq meter or thereabouts. As above you have to prepare well. And this time of year will need watering.
        Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
        • Darren Hales

Ratings:
          +0
          I'm not in a rush, so was thinking October for laying the lawn. Assuming money and time was no object, what would garner the best results, seed or rolls of turf?

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,167
          Seed will win every time, you can select the right seed mixture for your situation. Turf you get a limited choice, it's main advantage is obviously being much quicker.

• Like Like x 1