Laying Turf - advice needed for complete novice!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by RJW, Jul 15, 2012.

1. RJW

RJW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a complete gardening novice so would really appreciate some help/advice!
    Recently bought a house where the garden is completely block paved over. I've lifted all the block paving, now want to lay down some turf.
    Not sure what I need to put down prior to laying the turf though - there is a couple of inches of sand, which seems to be on top of clay. What do I need to do?!

2. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Hi RJW and welcome to G.C.
    Well you gonna need to find out how deep the soil is underneath the sand. If its around 15-18 inches it will be fine.
    Personally I would dig over the soil with the sand and dig in some granular growmore and any compost, leaf mould you can get then leave it for 6-8 weeks to see if any weeds come through.
    Before laying the turf, rake the soil level then heal it in.
    After that rake again to a fine tilth and water if necessary

3. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    If the pavers were laid level i would remove half the sand and airiate the clay for drainage with a fork and lay my turf. make sure the ground is still firmed enough that you don't get foot print impressions when you walk on the new grass.