Laylandii

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Blade, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all

First propper post from a novice who wants to learn .

Me and my wife planted 8 laylandii trees late last year , we used bonemeal around the roots , question is , is it best to prune them to get them to thicken up or leave them for a year to establish , idealy we want them about 5m high , there approx 2.5 now and sparce , we know all the pitfalls of said trees but they are ideal for what we want and where we want them

Many Thanks in advance and if ive posted in wrong place i,m very sorry , i will learn

Blade

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi Blade

Good post for your 1st one:dbgrtmb:

What size are they 2.5 feet/metres ??? at the moment and how far apart have you planted them ??

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi Spruce

Thanks for reply

we planted them about 3 ft apart maybe a bit less , thats what the suppliers told us to do and they are 2.5 metres high now

Many Thanks

Blade

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      Hi

They are quite big already

Get yourself a very sharp pair of shear's and just lightly trim the out side of the hedge so when you stand at the end it looks nice and even , I personaly woudnt take the tops out until its reached the height you want , I know a lot of people will think better choices but up the road from me is a golden leylandi hedge and they keep it imaculate 12 months of the year and he uses a hedge trimer and just takes a whisper off each time and it works a treat , he keeps the top as flat as a pancake but its b u ger when it snows .

So the secret is little and often and to keep it bushey will make it realy dense over the years

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
        +47
        Hopefully you won't live to regret buying them. They need at least four times a year trim.

I bet they are nice brand new but this bungalow had six oldies and they are a mess and take up a lot of garden and moisture.

These are part green part grey.

For my garden...:cry3::nono:

• Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
        Ratings:
        +4
        Many thanks spruce , should i feed them ? if so what should i use

Sixpence .... i deffo wont regret it . they are perfect for what we need , ive read a lot of anti laylandii stuff , the bigger they grow the better

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +9,817
        Leylandii get a rough deal and that's because of their owners. Bit like dogs if you don't train them then you'll never get a decent hedge. Given the right treatment you should have a lovely hedge when it's full grown. I too would leave the tops until you are at the height you want then stop them there.:WINK1:

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,359
        mmmm my pet hate these.
        I would recommend you dig them up and replace with some native.

They will rape your soil, dry everyting out, grow to massive proportions and cause misery to others. Dont forget, you may keep them well but will the owners after you ?

Not much help i know :rolleyespink:

• moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
        +242
        Law and leyandi

Hello and welcome,
        The first thing im going to say is that new laws have been passed and in some areas its not how high "You" want the trees to grow but what the local council have decided they can grow and 5m (approx 16.5feet high may come into the "No" zone,

Dont forget the roots go out the same width as the height and if this hedge your wanting is near to neighbours, or council drainage systems that the roots can and will damage you may find your in trouble!

Strong winds can and have brought these trees down and you as the owner can be of interest as to cost of damage to other property, the insurance company's are well clued up as to the law of neglect on such matters and if they can swing the cost for repair of such damage away from their pockets and into yours "THEY WILL":what:

I myself for the sake of the cost of a phone call would check with the council to (1) see if you need concent to grow these trees and if so whats the max hieght your allowed to grow them.

(2) These trees have caused so much legal problems and court times, ie people thinking they can have a private garden at the cost of nieghbours natural light and the cost of such court hearings can be very costly,

And (3) If or when you decide to sell your property the problem is again pointed out to the lender, as these trees roots can cause damage to the building your selling or nieghbours buildings.

I really would do a 100% check in all directions and get all results in writing before i'd plant this hedge:scratch:

This may sound rather loud advice? bUT ITS MEANING IS FOR YOUR INTEREST ONLY.

• Like Like x 2
        • SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
          +47
          Its your garden at the end of the day Blade,

I believe there are restrictions on height though.

• Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
          Ratings:
          +4
          Thanks all

But please no more cut them down they are the devil incarnate threads , all i want to know is how to thicken them up and keep them healthy :) how will they cause misery for others ?

As previously said , they are perfect for where we have them and height is not an issue , what the people who buy my house after me do with them is not my concern :nono:

Thanks again

Blade

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,359
          It would be if you were the unfortunate living next to them :cry3:

Sorry ive been scarred by such tree's. I would ban them.

How about Yew or Hornbeam or a smaller gowing Connifer ? Am i convincing you ? :D

• Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
          Ratings:
          +4

No no no :heehee: they are 150 feet from my house and no buildings or neighbors around , there is decking in front of them so no grass to kill , there is a hospital 500 feet beyond my garden and the planners have allowed them to build a new unit which is made of bright metal looks horendous , so i want something that grows like mad and the bigger the better , to block it out and the light it reflects into our house .

Go Go Laylandii , we love you :love30:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,311
          Blade, can you explain why you want to grow this hedge, maybe a pic or two.

There are so many "Leylandii haters" out there that it seems every time the word is mentioned they spring out of the woodwork, I'm not sure why, I think its mainly to do with news reports, and bad press. There are many trees that get very large and out of control, and likely to damage buildings and drainage.

My neighbours Rowan tree blocked the whole streets drains a few years ago, but somehow they dont get the same bad press. :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,311
          Sorry just noticed you have done that.:dbgrtmb: