1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lazy Celeriac

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by jennywren, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jennywren

jennywren Gardener

growing stuff
    Ratings:
    +401
    Some advice please. I have about 24 celeriac in the ground - grown from seed early last year. The leaves look good, bright green no yellowing, no sign of pests BUT they don't seem to be bulking up - I've just pulled one and the root is about the size of a golf ball. Do I just keep fingers crossed and leave them or have they not formed as they should?
    Jen

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,367
    Hi Jen, Celeriac isn't the easiest crop to grow well. It needs friable but permanently damp, rich soil. I doubt the long, hot summer would have helped! You could leave them in the ground, but the most likely scenario is that they'll produce flower stalks and then die without ever having decent sized roots. I buy big, healthy plants from our local market in Spring which, if kept well-watered, produce a few useable roots, so that might be the way to go later this year?

3. jennywren

jennywren Gardener

growing stuff
    Ratings:
    +401
    Thanks for that - so annoying as they take so bloomin long from seed to plant out stage! It's impossible here to give them permanent damp soil it's so dry here in the summer just keeping things from dying of thirst is a challenge. It's high teens today so flower stalks it looks like...I'll report back if miracles happen and I get to eat one!