1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leek problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by stony, Jun 9, 2010.

1. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi There again.

Last Autumn, I grew from seed Leeks, "Bandit F1's". They have all grown but have, without exception bolted and the result is uneatable solid core leeks, which I have just dug up to scrap. They were grown in a very deep bed, as I have in past years and all I added was some Vitax 04. Have no idea what I have done wrong? The ground was not manured and it had previously grown potato's before planting the leeks.

Anyone got any ideas, so that I don't repeat this next year?

stony

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Stony, I think timing is your problem. Those leeks have been through a winter and we are now into June, that's why they're running to seed.

I start my leeks in the spring and grow some for summer eating as a vegetable and some to stand into the winter for soup. I usually have them all finished by March - after that I think there is every chance they would go to seed.

3. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Alice, this seems very late to be harvesting winter leeks!

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Timing as Alice says.
    This year I sowed mine (in a box) on 2nd April and planted them out today.

I lifted the last half dozen of last year's leeks on 16th May this year and they were still in reasonably good condition though some were starting to sprout seed heads.