1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leggy kale - salvageable?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Peter Thompson, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter Thompson

Peter Thompson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    My kale has grown very well but sadly it's grown upwards instead of outwards. Is this because of the unseasonably hot weather perhaps?

As you can see from the photo, it's very tall (~15 inches) and flowering. Is there any thing I can do to salvage it? Can I expect the leaves to start to fill out?

TIA,
    P.

[​IMG]

2. Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +250
    So my question for you is: Did you grow them from seeds? Also have you grown kale in that spot before?

3. Peter Thompson

Ratings:
    +6
  4. Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +250
    So you bought seedlings from a store? Maybe it's just not sunny enough in that spot for Kale. I believe it will be too hot from now on to try to save these plants but the answer would be to cut them short. Plant more when the summer ends in fall in a different location and see if they do better...So sorry your little plants didn't do well for you..

5. Peter Thompson

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, yes I bought the plants form a garden centre. As regards being sunny enough, we've had unseasonably warm, sunny weather for the last few weeks so I'd be surprised if that were the problem. I will indeed try again at the end of the summer.

6. Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +250
    Good luck Peter...Keep us posted on the progress...

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Not sure exactly what is going on, it was very dry now hot so that could have triggered flowering. Maybe the plants were not well looked after in the GC - usually Kale only flowers in it's second year depending on the variety so you could have been unlucky and bought some old plants from the GC.

Once they start flowering they just keep on doing so at the expense of leaves. Snap off any flowering bits you see, if they are still in bud you can cook them same as broccoli.

To be honest I'd give up with plants at that stage and start a second batch from seed.

• Agree Agree x 1