1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

leggy lavender

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WolfieKate, Jun 20, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    Hello all,

I have a lavender shrub in my front garden which I have had quite a few years and I prune it back quite a bit but not right back and it is growing quite leggy and when it rains it gets bashed down and doesn't stay in a nice "clump". My question was how hard can they be pruned? Can I cut it back loads to try and make it less messy next year?

Thanks Kate :)

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi Kate
    its a 50/50 if you do, my mother hacked back her lavender hedge and I mean hack and to my amazment it grew back , it was at least 15 years old so I thought it had its day , she done this late summer after it has well finished flowering end of July begining of August ,, so I think its all in the timing.
    So even though the books say dont ??? my mother did !!!!

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      I was always told to replace lavender every 3-4yrs for optimum "prettiness" however I've recently been told that usually when it will go old and leggy and then pick up if you hack it back

• Like Like x 1
      • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
        Ratings:
        +150
        Thanks Spruce and Aesculus! :dbgrtmb:

Sooo... I can take a chance on it reviving if I hack it back or replace it if it doesn't work. :D It's still pretty even when leggy as I am not a "neat" gardener! It's just getting a bit out of hand!

I shall try that, thank you!

Kate