Leycesteria formosa - Himalayan Honeysuckle

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lewinsm, Aug 9, 2008.

1. lewinsm

lewinsm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've recently managed to identify a plant thats growing in my garden, and I'm thinking it is a Himalayan Honeysuckle. The flowers, berries and leaves are just like all the pictures i've managed to find.

I think it is a lovely shrub and its been flowering prolifically since spring time. But there is only new growth around head height (where it is all green and leafy). Below that the stems are all woody and bare and they are starting to look like they may break from the weight above. There are only 3 main stems, which look like they have been there for years.

I've only recently moved in so i imagine it's been neglected for a while, which might explain why the stems are so bare and woody and not shrubby as it usually is?

Anyway...getting to the point!
    I have read says that it should be harshly pruned back, but I'm worried that if i do then it won't come back as there doesn't look to have been much new growth from the stems near the ground.

Does anyone any experience or suggestions?

Thanks for any help

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,

I maor may not be wrong here but I was told a long time ago about a rule for cutting climbers-about when they flowered being the clue. And if it flowers in spring then it shouldn`t be pruned back now, but after it has flowered. If it flowers later in the summer then you can prune it back hard-to give it time to grow through spring. Maybe it is all jumbled in my head but I would say don`t prune it back hard-just shift the rubbish take about a third off it overall size and it should be okay.

3. lewinsm

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi lollipop

Its not a climber....i think the 'Himalayan Honeysuckle' name is just a misnomer.
    It's more cane like, i think it almost looks like a bamboo.

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh well thats bu88ered that theory up then-trickster

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,377
    I'd cut it back to ground level in winter.
    That way you get new stems from the base each year, which flower about nowish.

And lollypops theory applies to shrubs as well as climers.

If it flowers on old wood you prune after flowering, if it flowers on the current seasons wood, you prune in winter.

6. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A wonderful plant for some, but a nuisance for others!
    I love it and wouldnt be without it in my garden! I tend to cut some of the growth back to the base, and some about 4 ft in about November time.( it flowers on new wood) They resprout from the base each year. They have no specific requirements Only problem is that you will find lots of lovely new plants growing elsewhere in your garden randomly! This doesnt worry me - just enjoy the lovely flowers and berries!

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,309
    I agree with wilroda :thumb:. We really like it but it can seed quite easily.

We cut it hard back in Nov/Dec. It can grow up to 6 or 7ft tall each year and the flowers are very oriental looking. :)

8. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Did you know that some forms of it produce edible berries? Sadly many of them don't though, even though they are all L. formosa

9. lewinsm

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the tips guys.
    Went out for a closer look yesterday and noticed lots of little ones popping up all over the place. I'm planning on moving them over to a barron corner, once they look big enough to move.

Any ideas how i can find out if the berries are edible? Is it safe for me to just try them? how sick could they make me?