1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Leylandii

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mr. Middleton, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Mr. Middleton

Mr. Middleton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Planted two a couple of years ago to screen my next door neighbour's wheelie bins and they seem to be thriving on bone meal and water, although one is a bit brown.

Anyway, I digress.....................

What I would like to know please, is now they are at the height I want them, do I now prune the leading shoot and hope they thicken up OR should I let them just carry on as they are, getting bigger and bigger hopefully, and lop the tops off (say at about 5 feet) when they are then more mature and thicker?

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,985
    From what I understand Mr Middleton if you lop the tops now they will grow a couple of feet or more but they will thicken out.I stand to be corrected..:blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mr. Middleton

Ratings:
      +17
      Thank you for your prompt reply

Can anyone else help with advice please?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,388
      Yes, pruning will help it thicken up. I always recommend reducing the main stem to 6" below the height you want. This way it will make it easier to keep the top cut at the ultimate height you want. If you just cut the main stem at the ultimate height that stem will, over the years, thicken up and eventually be difficult for hedge cutting.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Ah! Shiney has pinched my words :)

I too would cut back to below the required eventual height. I usually go for something like 30 cm....even more. This then means future top growth is not woody and easier to maintain Mr Middleton :)

Pruning will help thicken your hedge too

• Mr. Middleton

Ratings:
      +17
      Thank you so much Shiney and Verdun, that is exactly the advice I wanted and was more or less what I thought apart from the 6 to 12" you both varied on, so I will opt for 9" (Ooooh, matron!).

That does make sense as you say avoiding a woody stem at the top of the hedge.

• Friendly Friendly x 1