1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lichen on fruit trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Dan Dollin, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dan Dollin

Dan Dollin Gardener

Computer Technician
    Ratings:
    +85
    We have a small group of fruit trees (cherries and apples) but they are almost completely covered in lichen. They have good airflow and get a good deal of sunlight but they are all really struggling to produce any foliage let alone fruit... I can't spray anything as they are clustered around a Well.

What are my options? Or should I just chop down and start again?

Dan

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The litchen is not a problem Dan, its just an indicator of clean air.

You might need to protect the trees from the raw Atlantic winds you'll be getting at Kilkhampton though. And give them a good mulch.

3. Dan Dollin

Dan Dollin Gardener

Computer Technician
    Ratings:
    +85
    Zigs... Thanks for your reply. The only reason I ask about the Lichen is because wherever it grows there is no new growth or leaves etc. So The trees just have leaves on the very tips of the branches... Maybe there is something else wrong with the trees? I'd be surprised if there was a cross species infection of some sort though?

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan,

You wouldn't be the first one to suspect lichen is the cause of the problem, they often get the blame.

Its more likely they are taking advantage of the tree's poor health, lack of foliage means more sunlight is getting to the branches, allowing the lichen to establish its self.

I wouldn't replace the trees without working out what the problem is first, otherwise the same thing could happen to the new trees.

If we've discounted salt laden winds, is the soil poor/rocky? Have they had a mulch of anything recently?

Are there any signs of canker on the bark at all?

5. Dan Dollin

Dan Dollin Gardener

Computer Technician
    Ratings:
    +85
    Zigs... I think Kilk is far enough away to avoid any salty breeze. We probably fair better than the satellites down the road!
    They haven't been mulched in years - the garden was untouched whilst the house was empty for at least 2 years. That being said, any leaf fall has always surrounded the trees and rotted down around them. They are also next to the Well, so they should have a good supply of ground water - without being waterlogged as the water level is about 1.5M below the surface usually.

I will investigate the trees in greater detail this weekend and get up close - I'll take some pics too so you can see the coverage.

Thanks,

Dan

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one.

I was staying in Bude when we were working on West Putford Church, used to drive thru Kilkhampton.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1