1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting and storing fritillaria?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mazambo, May 27, 2020.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi everyone, I'm currently sifting gravel from soil and putting it in 100 litre pots to reuse later (I haven't got no where else to store it), I think I'm going to need all the pots I can get my hands on, I grew my fritillaria in a 100 litre pot I'm just wondering if it's possible to lift and store them now? Thanks

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    Don't. Frits die if they are stored dry. That is why a lot of the ones sold in shops never grow. Better to keep them planted and slightly damp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Thanks @Palustris plan b it is, don't know what plan b is yet, :scratch: just wondering how many hanging baskets I've got:heehee:

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Sorry to disagree @Palustris , but this is a quote from Carol Kein ( who I have a great respect for, in my opinion one of the best ) this week.....

" Replacing the Crown Imperial Fritillaries in the big pots. Lifting the bulbs carefully in the hope that their shrinking stems and leaves will feed back into the bulbs, which can then be stored until next year ".

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I agree with KFF as most of this season's Fritillaria were bought online and sent in paper bags filled with saw dust and wood shavings, arrived bone dry, and all have flowered. I realise why you have to dig them up though, mazambo, and although I tend to leave my Alliums and Fritillaria in the ground I think you could store them dry safely. Having said that, if you have a container to store the Fritillaria in damp compost/sand/grit until, say, the Autumn when you could, if you wanted to, replant them again, it wouldn't do them any harm.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,985
        I prefer to take the advice from Kevin Pratt who wrote the book on Fritilarias . Maybe the big imperialis types can stand drying out, but the smaller ones like F. meleagris definitely die. If you are lucky and the suppliers send them out as fresh bulbs properly packed then they will grow, but stored dry for any length of time, no chance.
        Frits are what is called 'naked' bulbs in that they do not have a coat to protect them from desiccation. Snowdrops are another of the same type whereas Narcissus and Tulips have protective skins.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
          +3,718
          Thanks everyone for your advice some good points all round, one things for sure you all know an awful lot more than me:blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1