1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting Bulbs for Forcing Indoors

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by herbs&flowers, Dec 15, 2016.

1. herbs&flowers

herbs&flowers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi - I've just lifted some narcissus bulbs that had green growth pushing through the soil for forcing indoors. Whilst digging, I also came across some bulbs that had no green growth nor roots showing but were otherwise plump, tight skinned & healthy looking. Do I bring them indoors with the rest or leave them where they are?

Thanks!

2. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Can't help sorry, never lifted bulbs that were outdoors for indoors. I did buy narcissus bulbs for indoors though.. haven't seen much movement in them tbh. I'd leave the ones without shoots/roots there.. they might be a later flowering type

3. herbs&flowers

herbs&flowers Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I didn't know they'd be different. I bought them off a stall last Dec for the indoors & planted them in the ground after flowering. Green started poking through the ground last week so I dug them out & brought them in.

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,537
    I agree with Linz on leaving the un-rooted bulbs where they are. If you disturbed the roots of the others when lifting them, without the soil they were growing in, then there's a chance they won't continue to grow or flower this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Herbs and Flowers,

When bulbs are planted direct in the ground outside you should really leave them there to grow naturally. When you move them you disturb the roots etc and also bringing them into the warmth all of a sudden could make them bolt or even flower prematurely and then the flowers could die before opening.

Bulbs planted out after flowering are generally hardy enough to survive for many years to come, the exception being the Narcissus " Paperwhite " and it's varieties. These are grown in Israel and need a lot of heat in Summer to initiate flower buds, and are not really hardy enough to survive our Winters.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        Oh fingers crossed they'll be ok @herbs&flowers :fingers crossed: :smile:

I was going to bung the "paperwhite" outside after flowering.. glad you said that @Anthony Rogers ! Do you dry yours off and store until next winter or bin and buy fresh?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Linz,

I usually throw them away, but next year I might try and keep them as we now have a greenhouse so maybe keeping them in there in the higher temperature will help.

PS, if you can manage to keep them their natural flowering time us September/October.

• Like Like x 1
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +10,523
              Would never, ever want to do this. I would just buy some paperwhites from a store and plant them in a pot for inside blooming. I just toss them at the end and move on.

• Like Like x 1