1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting lawn manually

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sixtie7, May 7, 2015.

1. Sixtie7

Sixtie7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    I'm in the process of lifting the old turf on the small side of my front garden (22 x 18'), the current 'lawn' dips up and down and is terribly uneven.
    I'm using a pointed shovel to lift the old turf (80% moss 10% weeds) and it's coming out but is serious hard graft, I've ordered a lawn iron or spade I'm hoping this will come in handy when I do the larger side of the front garden, how is it cut into the turf if you don't mind my asking? The shovel obviously has mouldings on to kick into the earth - I've noticed the lawn iron has no such thing so how is it used?
    Anyway, I've bought a shed load of top soil in bags from the local diy centre and bought some (100l) miracle grow compost to mix in with it, I'm going to be going for reseeding rather than turf as its fairly shady out there, not to mention I'm on a budget I've also got some lawn fertiliser to help. So any top tips will be much appreciated x

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Have you got a link to this? I'm not heard of one, maybe you mean a turf cutter?

Hold off on the fertiliser until your seeded lawn is well established, it will do more harm than good.

3. Sixtie7

Sixtie7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    The link for the lawn / turf iron it won't let me link for some reason, but Google turfing iron and its a slightly odd angled petal shaped spade
    Also I don't mean to sound like a complete novice (but I'm going to anyway lol), why hold off on the fertiliser? It says on the tub its for pre seeding / laying turf, I haven't put any down yet btw

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Like this? http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/product/new-products/turfing-iron

All you do is angle it under the grass then push it along, I'm sure you'll find the technique once you practice.

Because you are already adding fertiliser:
    If you over-do the feed it will burn the roots of tender new seedlings and you'll get poor establishment. Grass in particular doesn't need much fertilizer to get going anyway.

5. Sixtie7

Sixtie7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    That's exactly the one :) I guess as you say it'll take some practice when it gets here

6. Sixtie7

Sixtie7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Well it arrived this morning and looking at it in real life and checking its weight it should be straightforward, I just need it to stop raining now so I can carry on