1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Light box and capillary matting - fungal diseases

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by JackJJW, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    Hi everyone

I recently bought a light box for propagation and I had some success with it, growing some cut and come again lettuce and basil (and mimosa pudica for fun!)

It was all going so well until I added capillary matting to help with the watering. Very quickly various forms of fungal disease took hold and the crops became a cropper!

This has made me slightly nervous because I'm relying on this to grow all of my seedlings as we have no real area with enough natural light.

My first port of call is simply to do away with the matting and do the more laborious job of watering by hand. I don't really mind this because I'm checking them all the time anyway! And this should help stop the spread and reduce humidity.

But I wondered, how does everyone else use capillary matting effectively without that happening? And should I apply fungicides to be on the safe side anyway?

I have now fully cleaned everything with Jeyes fluid (are there less toxic but equally effective cleaners I can use?)

Thank you :)

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There's a member on the usa forum who swears by Cornmeal to combat damping off.

Quote Chuck from Texas..

3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    In an enclosed area capillary matting makes the atmosphere too damp, I would take it out.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Cheshunt Compound was a godsend IMO but now I mist with diluted camomile tea ,it worked for last years seedlings.:thumbsup:
        Just an idea @JackJJW ...Maybe a small fan to circulate the air occaisionally might prevent it.:dunno:

I'm going to try cornmeal round the base of my Roses,said to prevent black spot...we'll see:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2