1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lilac Tree - How hard can I prune?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Dan Dollin, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Dan Dollin

Dan Dollin Gardener

Computer Technician
    Ratings:
    +85
    We have a Lilac that must be 25 feet+ tall and about the same wide... What are the options for cutting this back to a much more reasonable size? I was thinking more 10 feet tall. Would it kill if if I cut it back to the main trunks? (ie no leaves)

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dan Dollin

Dan Dollin Gardener

Computer Technician
      Ratings:
      +85
      That's great info Bilbo, that certainly suggests I can be ruthless and also that I need to do it now. I might get the chainsaw out tomorrow!

I didn't even realize - I have two of the things!! Obviously last time I paid attention to them they had blended into one with foliage in-between.

I took a couple of pics this morning so you get an idea of the size!

20130308_083629.jpg 20130308_083636.jpg

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I am ashamed to admit I took a chainsaw to a white lilac I have which hadn't been pruned for about 30 years. It looked a little tatty for the 1st year post the massacre but now 5 years on it is looking very well and flowered profusely last year.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom for that year but get big lush leaves instead. They tend to respond by throwing up a lot of shoots, I prune out those which are growing badly in the second spring.
      I find they make quite a nice small tree with very gnarled textured bark which tends to spiral slightly.