1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lilies stopped flowering - what next?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sage and onion, Jul 21, 2009.

1. sage and onion

sage and onion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown some lilies from bulbs this year in pots which have stopped flowering.
    What do I do now? Do I leave them in their pots for next year? Do they need to be cut back?

2. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi there sage :)

Just let them die back and they will come back year on year and they should spread giving you more blooms.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would take the dead flowers off - so that they put their energy into fattening up the bulb, rather than producing (useless) seeds.

and let them die back as Pip said ...

4. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Quite right Kristen, forgot to mention deadheading :doh:

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I dead head as Kristin & others say then give them a good feed before you leave them to die back...!

Next year in Spring remove the top few inches of compost & replace with fresh. I feed with a grow fertilizer (I use watered down chicken poo pellets for grow food) when they appear in the spring & 1 dose of bloom feed when flowering.... Then as I said another grow feed now & then leave to die back .:wink: Don't forget when they are in pots they are totally dependant on you for food... !!:) So if you want the blooms, feed them..!:D

6. sage and onion

sage and onion Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, thanks for your quick advice Pip, Kristen and Marley Farley.
    Marley regarding chicken manure pellets, I was only speaking to a friend today about the use of and a neighbour keeps chickens so I could get this fresh - would you recommend that this is used or does it need to break down like horse manure?

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,704
    Don't forget you can dig up the clusters of bulbs every so often to split up and spread about:)

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Sage & Onion, yes fresh chicken poo does need to break down first, like all manure.. If you have somewhere where you could make a heap I would do it.. Turn it occasionally to keep it breaking down nicely, you tell it is as the straw will break down & it won't smell either...:wink::D

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Can you make a liquid feed using fresh chicken manure?

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well Kristen I don't know as I have never tried.. When I did keep chickens I had a heap which I turned & I used to put some in a sack in an old dustbin full of water, but it was always rotted...

I would be very worried about using it fresh as the ammonia content would be high, as with the nitrates and other elements in the fresh chicken manure, it will burn most plants, you need to compost the chicken manure for 3-4 months before applying it under plants. or digging in... No play safe & use rotted Kristen... :wink::D

11. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen somewhere that u can make a liquid feed out of horse or cow poo by putting the poop in a pair of tights and soaking it in water. I think u had to water it down to feed the plants. Don't know if it would work with chicken poop.

What do u do with the pellets to make a feed MF?

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Yup, that's was what I was thinking too LMRR. Didn't know if it would apply to Chicken Manure too though ...

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :old: I put several large scoops of pellets in an old dustbin that I keep full of rainwater & it makes a superb liquid feed at this time of year for plants after they have flowered, bulbs, trees & the list goes on really... A very good folia feed too... Everytime I use it up I replenish so always have feed on hand....:wink: I hate using chemicals...

14. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks MF I'll give that a go. I wanted a way of feeding my plants with my chicken pellets without my dog eating them. If i spread some on top she eats them

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :lollol: That is one of the reasons I do it LMRR..:hehe: