1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lily Bulbils

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Kandy, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good afternoon everyone.:smile:

This afternoon when I was watering my pot plants I noticed on a single Lily bulb stem some baby Lily bulbils in some of the leaf joints near the top of the plant.

What I would like to ask is can anyone tell me when I have to remove the bulbils to grow them on into bigger bulbs.Do its are them off now in their small stage while they are green or do I leave them on the plant a bit longer while the mother Lily bulb is still growing and hopefully flowering.

I think the Lily in question is Regale:smile:

Any advice will be warmly welcomed.Thanks,Kandy:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi

Lucky you , I have some tiger lilies that do the same , I try and leave on as long as possible until you can see a tiny root , but mine was in a pot on the patio so if any dropped off easily found , just pick them off and plant straight away in pot about a inch deep and I usually keep in the greenhouse over winter.

Great way of making more plants plus side they will all be "Regale"

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I agree, but as mine are in the main bed I pick them off. Just give the brown ones a gentle tweak - if they come off all well and good, if not try tomorrow.
      It's not unusual that in their first year (2016) they appear to do nothing but in fact under the soil they are setting their roots out.
      Two to three years to flowering.

• Agree Agree x 1