Lily of the valley

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Green Gremlin, May 20, 2021.

1. Green Gremlin

Green Gremlin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    I've heard there dangerous if you have children and pets? Is this the case. Thanks.
    Was thinking of buying one locally,

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Lots of plants are poisonous (or have vicious thorns etc.). One approach is to educate the kids rather than avoid them ... the kids are likely to be in someone else's garden and encounter such plants - and maybe the owners are not aware. My Mum used to make me wash my hands when we picked certain flowers - like Yellow Aconites in Spring - when we came in, which was a handy way of making me aware that they needed to be treated with some care (but not paranoia, so to speak)

Most things in the garden which are poisonous are going to cause an upset stomach rather than anything fatal, but youngsters are inclined to put seeds in their mouth and so on ... so there is risk.

Apple Pips contain cyanide, and they will kill you if you eat enough of them ... but getting your worst enemy to eat the whole core of an apple, every day, isn't going to get rid of them I'm afraid

P.S. Sorry, missed the bit about pets. That's a bit more tricky, although I don't know if they are likely to be tempted to eat Lily of the Valley

• Like Like x 2
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      My (admittedly rather limited) understanding is that generally, the order of priority we should be concerned with when it comes to toxic plants is this:

1) The most vulnerable group are toddlers/small children.

2) Dogs.

3) Cats.

Personally, I think that when one has insufficient understanding of a situation (which is probably true for the vast majority of people in this case, even tremendously keen gardeners) one should simply err on the side of caution. I grew Lily Of The Valley for several years and never had a problem with my cats, but who knows? I may have just been lucky! :dunno:

Nick

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: May 21, 2021
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,619
        • Like Like x 2
        • Green Gremlin

Green Gremlin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +9
          Thanks, think May give it a go, already got lillies and orlandera. Thanks for replys. The lily of the valley was thinking for the North facing side of garden(shaded area

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,619
          Lily pollen is deadly for cats it's worse for indoor cats. With cut flower displays, we remove the anthers (male part of flower) anyway as the pollen stains.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
            Ratings:
            +1,536
            The dangerous garden malarkey comes up every year on every plant forum around the world. Cats instinctively keep away from lily flowers, dogs will throw up by chewing on a host of different leaves, whilst young humans will find out quite quickly that putting plants in your mouth will leave a nasty taste or burning for quite a while.....probably why kids won't eat leafy salad and brassicas!
            To ingest the most poisonous of plants even by accident takes a special kind of stoooopid, even by kids standards. There's more chance of being impaled on a pyracantha or blinded by impatiens seed release. An acid type burn from euphorbia sap is one to be avoided. I keep the kids away by growing puya, chamaerops, yucca, opuntia and a host of other spikeys. If you play in my garden, you will pay with blood:nonofinger:

• Like Like x 3
            • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,414
              We have 2 cats and 2 dogs and none of them have ever become ill after eating plants in the garden.

G.

• Like Like x 3
              • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,288
                I think the only way to get a realistic idea of how often it happens with pets is to have a chat with a vet about it. :dunno:

Nick

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1