1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Liming and Fertilizing ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, Mar 12, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

If some ground has just been Limed how long before we can add any Fertilizer ?

Also, if the ground has just been Fertilized how long before we can Lime ?

By Fertilizer we mean Growmore or FB&B etc, but in this context does Garden Compost or purchased Composted Farmyard Manure count as the same ?

2. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    For a few years now, I've limed my lawn in Autumn. Generally, I check the pH level, and add the amount of lime needed to get things to where I want them to be. I do this for one reason alone. Its a far more effective way of keeping moss out of the lawn than the usual Iron treatment.

When Spring arrives, I use an eco friendly fertiliser that is known to slightly adjust the pH upwards. I do this before the first cut is made, and then twice more during the season. This does seem to keep weeds away also.

So, based on this, and not knowing if the question refers to the lawn or other places, I would say liming to first fertilising roughly 6 months (here!) and 6 to 8 weeks between fertilising and liming.

Just an opinion, but it work for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi,

Its for both lawns and veg beds /general borders.

For lawns should have Limed it last Autumn, so is it worth liming now at the cost of not feeding for most of the summer ?

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Lime takes quite a while to be washed down into the soil. Thats the reason I do it in Autumn. That way, I can be sure its done its job. I'm sure other members could answer your question regarding Spring liming better than I can, as they are more used to the UK climate than I am now.