1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lithodora

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gardenman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. gardenman

gardenman Apprentice Gardener

Landscape Design, Horticultural Advice
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just wondering if anyone else has found a way to grow clean Lithodora in pots? I know they like it dry but I still seem to get the dreaded Phoma blight on them causing them to go black and sickly.
    Any thoughts?

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I have two in the ground and one potted and the latter really doesn't like being confined so i'll let it free soon.

I can tell you that the soil they thrive in has to be as thin as possible - preferebaly all grit .... is yours given that type ?
    Why do you keep yours potted ?

My two healthier ones are in thin, poor soil, neutral-alkaline, and sun for the latter half of the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • gardenman

gardenman Apprentice Gardener

Landscape Design, Horticultural Advice
      Ratings:
      +9
      Thanks Louise,

Sounds like they really seem to struggle in the pots. I grow them in pots for landscaping purposes, need em mobile!
      I have seen plenty of crops of them grown in pots of peat growing very healthy and in full bloom. While mine and numerous other potted crops I have seen start ok, by the time they get ready for sale, they start going black and the phoma takes hold.

I believe they prefer an acid soil and this may be something I might have to try.
      While I would love to use fine thin soil, I can't due to the need for mobility with the pots :what:

Gardening Cured | Facebook