1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lithops

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Snorky85, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,941
    Has anyone here grown Lithops before?

I've just ordered some seeds and going to give it a go. I'm interested to hear how anyone else has got on with them.

:spinning:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,320
      Hi @Snorky85 I grew them from mixed seed many years ago, and they were fascinating, particularly seeing the variation in colour develop - and not difficult. I actually bought some seed again this year, but they failed to germinate. It might just be me...:scratch:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,483
        Grew some from mixed seed years ago, a bit neglected now to tell the truth, but once a reasonable size they thrive on neglect.

Most of mine need potting on as far too cramped, but they still flower every year.

Early stages of seedlings are tricky.
        I wouldn't sow them at least until the new year, April would be better, and shading from strong sunlight for a couple of years, with sparse watering from the bottom, or a very fine spraying on the surface regularly in the growing season, which is fairly short and well defined.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,941
          Hmm that is interesting. I watched a youtube video and the grower said Autumn/Winter time is a good time to grown them. I think I will be cautious and only do a few seedlings now and wait til April and do some more then as you say Pete.

I'm fascinated by the different colours-they remind me of living coral in the sea when they are flowering.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,483
          Well I think there are different species and I'm not an expert, but nothing grows in the gloom we have between now and february.

When they get adult I find there are summer flowing ones and autumn flowering ones, but once flowered they tend to go dormant again, for 8 months:biggrin:
          They really are exciting plants to grow.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1