1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Little black flies

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Salgor, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    Hi All

Looking for some advice. I have three peace lilies around the house and they are flourishing. However, they seem to be harbourning some tiny little black flies which are really irratating as they fly around the house:huh:

I really don't want to have to throw them out so can anyone suggest something I could treat them with.

Sally

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    could be fungus gnats... try holding back on the watering a little you might be overdoing it:thumbsup:

- http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/nonflash_index.shtml?black_fungus_gnats

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Salgor, I think Aesulus is right. It probably is a form of gnat which is loving the warmth of the house. As well as less watering you might find a gentle spray of soft soap will rid you of the black spots in front of your eyes.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't water from above, put the water in the tray & let the plants roots suck it up.
    Fungus gnats live in the top of the pot & wont like it if that bit is dry.

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've been known in the past to put a thin layer of sand on top of the soil with house plants, and water in the way Ziggy describes. That was for a different reason though. I was finding that moss and fungi was forming on the soil. A friend recommended the watering from below trick that Ziggy describes, and the sand was just me experimenting, figuring that sand is very free draining and allows good air circulation, thus making it inhospitable for fungi. It seemed to work.

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,460
    We water from the bottom and every few months skim the top layer of soil off the pots and replace with fresh. We do this regularly with the chilli plants that we overwinter indoors as they seem to be particularly susceptible to them. We've not tried the sand but may give it a go. :dbgrtmb:

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    If it is the gnat I'm thinking of it hasn't visited you from the outside but actually lives in the compost in the pot. While I believe the soft soap spray will work but there are also insecticides that can be "drenched" into the compost that will kill them. The sand and also renewing the top layer of compost are good ideas and I'm sure would help.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine have stopped just by watering from the bottom but I like the idea of sand on top, should help with the damping off fungus as well:thumbsup:

9. Salgor

Salgor Gardener

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks everyone for all your tips.:dbgrtmb: I have found a tip as well regarding sliced potato on top of the soil along with reducing watering and only watering from the top.

I have fund an insecticide by Raid which is for flying insects, moths, gnats etc. Do you think it would be OK to spray that on my plants.:scratch:

Sally

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,460
    Unless it says it is for plants the answer is 'NO'! :rolleyespink: :)

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I agree with Shiney. Be careful what you spray on your plants!!