1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Living wall.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rustyroots, Jun 17, 2012.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

I've just watched gardeners world from last night and I want to block off a part of the garden from my son. I was going to use a picket fence, but after watching gardeners world fancy putting in a living wall. Has anyone else got a living wall and how easy is it to do and keep?

Rusty

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    What is a 'living wall'?

I'm aware of willow 'fedges'. Is that the kind of thing? In which case I can vouch for them.

3. rustyroots

Ratings:
    +2,946
    It is a wall with pockets in it that you plant plants in all the way up. On gardeners world there was a garden designer who had made one using moisture holding fabric backed with plastic, but they were saying there is specially designed stuff on the market very expensive though.

Rusty

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I also watched the programme and my concern would be not so much the positioning of the plants/seedling in the pockets at the start, but the watering and general maintenance say if they were to dry out or be ill. Then i must say I like the horizontal gardens on a roof more than the vertical gardens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I saw it too Rusty and love the idea:dbgrtmb:....i'm thinking of doing a 'fern wall' and using more of the drought tollerant ferns....i saw one on telly recently but can't remember where it was:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        I've been thinking that maybe using wooden pallets backed with weed fabric and cutting out some pockets in the slats to plant int and then stand it on its end. I think your idea of drought tolerant plants would be a good idea lolimac or maybe run a soaker hose through it.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
        • clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
          +170
          Hi,

I was at Gardeners World Live Saturday and the living wall was fab. I found the stand that sold these pockets and it was great to see how they work. You just water the back tounge with a spray or hook up a drip. Below is their website for more info, but not cheap, £29.99 per pocket.
          http://www.gardenbeet.com/woolly-pocket.html

Calum

• rustyroots

Ratings:
          +2,946
          Wow thats expensive!

Rusty

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I saw the program and the idea of a "living wall" being shown and advocated. I'm all for new ideas and suggestions, but as Miraflores pointed out the maintenance and watering of it must be horrendous, depending on the size of the wall. Not all the plants are going to "take" or like being in a living wall.
          The "Living Wall" Gardeners World had in public view was only a temporary one and the plants were going to Schools after the Show so there were plants in it that wouldn't have lasted long and weren't really suitable for a long term wall.
          Some of the "Living Walls" of individuals in the program must have cost hundreds of pounds to set up using the absorbent fleece in the quantities that it was, plus the frames, special fertiliser, and the amount of compost to fill the fleece cavity, and that's without the plants [which weren't cheap off the market plants]. Also I have a feeling that those people didn't do it themselves but left it to professional gardeners to maintain.
          I guess it all depends on the size of the "wall" being contemplated and "new" ideas in gardening are always welcome, although I suspect the attractiveness of this one will die off quickly when people find how many hours it takes to keep up with watering, pruning, replacing plants that don't do well in the "pockets". But as they say if you don't try...........:snork:

• Like Like x 2
          • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,385
            I seen it aswell and the living wall the guy had at the house by the spiral stairway looked like it was the grey material you get in the old type spring matresses,maybe you can buy it by the roll still ? but i would think it would be heavy if too wet:dunno:

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +883
            I think there are ways you can make them cheaply using guttering either flat or at a slant so it drains. You just put the plants in little grow bags in the guttering mite work best against a wall though.

• Like Like x 2