1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Locating nearby gardeners to meet.

Discussion in 'Wish You Were Here' started by Chesterfieldgardener, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chesterfieldgardener

Chesterfieldgardener Gardener

House husband
    Ratings:
    +198
    I'm near Chesterfield, South Yorkshire / North Derbyshire (Well on the borders, with long-standing, ongoing discussions where we are exactly lol). And, in the hope of trying to find other amateur "reasonably local" gardeners like myself, scoured the internet and various blogs. I've been a member of this site for a few years but haven't found an easy way to locate others where we could meet up, seed swap, etc. I have found, and joined another called Greenplantswap, which is designed specifically for locating in the UK, as opposed to information and discussions like this one. I'm not trying to "promote" the other, and even asked the Mods on this one if a similar function could be built on this site, but it was decided it wasn't appropriate.

My wife and I have met up with and made a really good gardening friend as result of the other site but, unfortunately, in spite of it being a very comprehensive and large site, it is far less active than this one - could be that my area (up to as far as 20+ miles) simply does not "produce" many sociable, enthusiastic souls like myself and wife! So if anyone like-minded, and in a nearby location (or just visiting), stumbles across this rambling of mine who wants to correspond, then Here I Be!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      Hi @Chesterfieldgardener how nice to meet you:spinning:
      @shiney does have a FAB garden meet up in Shinyland - Ill go and see if i can find the GC link for it :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Chesterfieldgardener

House husband
        Ratings:
        +198
        Just had a peek at your page - lovely photos! Thanks for your reply and help :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,493
          @BeeHappy and @Chesterfieldgardener This is the best link about my event.

Events

The 'Sneak Preview' was what I first posted 9 years ago and the others are postings and photos - and all the usual banter from subsequent years. I know it's a long way to come but some members make a weekend of it.

I've no idea how many members live up your way :scratch: The distance from you to Shineyland is about 150 miles - straight down the A1. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,203
            Hi @Chesterfieldgardener,

Think you are pushing it you are trying to say you are a Yorkshireman .:biggrin:

Know the South / old West Yorkshire boundaries have been creeping further south in the last 100 years but even my old mate in Dronfield, has resigned to becoming a Spire - ite :mute:

I'm originally from south yorks but now a good few miles further north, but there are a few other regular forum members in your local area who may want to join in.

There certainly is a strong family scene if you join a local allotment society, but not everyone is able to take one on, even if one's available, plus its a lot of hard work getting a plot up and running again.

Spare seeds and plants always seem to get wasted, regularly throw out Fuchsias etc, just cannot stop taking cuttings :).

Was just thinking the other day what to do with the 5 spare Glen Ample raspberry canes I will have when the pack of 10 arrive in January; none of the neighbours want them.
            They don't cost that much, but seems such a shame to compost them, much better to swap or give them away.
            Raspberry Glen Ample Long-Cane

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,493
              In previous years GC has had a Seed Swap thread but don't know what has happened to it recently.

@pamsdish used to put a lot of hard work into running it. :blue thumb:

This was last year's
              SEED SWAP 2016

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                Hi there - I also don't understand why there are not more meetings and i am not talking anything fancy (actually better not too fancy eh eh) but a visit to some gardens, to a market, to a festival and so on. Or a get together with some nice food...

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,612
                  Just to add to this, we decided as a team at the time that our members locations should be protected, and as many swaps already take place between members, AND we have the benefit of Shineyland each year, we didn't think there would be much appetite for it.

Now, as you all know, we choose to be as transparent as we possibly can be, and if we have read the situation wrong, and there IS an appetite for something like this, I am happy to go about doing the technical work to set something up - BUT, there would need to be a real appetite for it, AND it would have to be agreed by my colleagues and of course @Webmaster.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Chesterfieldgardener

House husband
                    Ratings:
                    +198
                    Would never push it to claim I'm a Yorkshireman - I'm a London born deserter, and I always maintain this is North Derbyshire (Dint of fact our council is "North-East Derbyshire" even though we have a South Yorkshire post-code, and a Chesterfield phone number prefix - Haha.)
                    My wife is a Sheffield lass, and still trying to teach me South Yorkshirese!

I am literally a 10 minute drive from Dronfield - had my Lawnmower serviced there, last year!!

Because of the size of the "back garden" (Inherited a blank canvas of just lawn 12 years ago), we dug up a 3rd of it creating 6 small veg plots with a greenhouse and small shed (photos on my profile page), so no need to search for allotments. Fortunate, not least because of my wife and I aren't dedicated enough to maintain a place umpteen miles away haha.

We are the opposite to you when it comes to hoarding seeds, shrubs, etc. In fact, earlier today I was busily gathering Cosmos seeds (as per instructed by the missus...)
                    And your last sentence, "..such a shame to compost them, much better to swap or give them away.", leads me right back to my "hunt for / locate local gardeners" mission.

In the past I have mailed heritage tomato seeds in exchange for other seeds as far as North America - fellow members of the "Tomatoville" blog site, and with scrungee on this GC site - I have a thread from last year called "Rare Tomato seed". However, mailing a 4 foot Killmarnock willow we dug up last year was outside of our budget!

My most current and up-to-date gardener "blogging / photos" are on the other site I mentioned: with the member name "David & Hazel In Chesterfield." Yes, I know, I need to be updating my profile and photos on GC haha, and dividing my time more equally between here and there (hangs head in shame). We do now have 2 gardening helpers - Molly & Sago the Bengal cats. I posted a photo on the GC competition thread earlier this year, as an example of Sago "helping" with runner beans haha.

I would love to know who the other regular GC members are in my area. Maybe they would like various spare veg seeds inspected by Bengals? hahaha.

Thanks for all your replies and info. Looking forward to more :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Chesterfieldgardener

House husband
                      Ratings:
                      +198
                      Hi FatController, I fully understand your reasons. The only comment I would make is that there is already some opportunity on GC for members to give out their (approximate or detailed) locations. I do love this site, but you can check out the system they work with on the site I have been mentioning

Perhaps there's a way to do some kind of informal survey of GC members to guage if locating / meeting is something worth having? I fully respect your reasons and decision as it stands.

I want to thank you and those involved for all the hard work that has gone into creating this great community :)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                      • Like Like x 1
                        Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
                      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,616
                        @Chesterfieldgardener you should count yourself lucky to be so close to Shineyland. I am 5,742km from it!

• Like Like x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                          Ratings:
                          +49,612
                          @Chesterfieldgardener, it is our pleasure :), thank you for your kind words.

Feel free to start a specific thread if you wish, and add a poll to it, not least as you are best positioned to explain the benefits to others. I will happily support you in doing so, and will participate in the thread should any questions arise that I can answer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +118,493
                            We do occasionally (not more than once a year) meet up at well known gardens but they tend to be nearer the S.E./East Anglia area. That's mainly because there seems to be more enthusiasm for the meet up in that area.

I expect you here this year. :old: :wub2:

In the past we've had visitors from the U.S., France and Luxembourg and this year we had some from New Zealand, Australia and Israel. :blue thumb: (They didn't come over just to visit us! :heehee:)

• Like Like x 2
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Hi CG, FC is right, the Admin Team does have a legal responsibility to protect our members regarding private information and other details which is why we don't encourage members to divulge locations or other information even to "safe" Forums or sites. Also within in our Rules and Protocols we should be asked for permission by members to post links to other sites, again for the reasons of security to the GC site and the members. I think, and hope, that everyone will agree that I ain't a "jobs worth" or fanatic about rules but the GC rules and protocols were in place long before I became an Administrator and they have evolved out of the experience of past incidents and problems and are there for good reason, i.e: our members security and protection.

Not really.:dunno: We have had in the past one or two members who had given their precise locations and phone numbers out on the Open Forum and we have, when we became aware of it, immediately deleted that information and informed the member of our action. The release of the general location of members doesn't normally cause problems and some members are aware of other members precise locations, due to that information being given willingly via pms, but that is a member's decision and not under Admins control as pm's are regarded as confidentially sacrosanct unless there is a criminal act or case involved.

Shineyland's Open Day falls into a special category where Mr and Mrs Shiney hold it for a Charity and members know of, and some have been to, the precise location.

• Agree Agree x 2
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Chesterfieldgardener

House husband
                                Ratings:
                                +198
                                I am flattered to be given your confidence and support to do this!

I could first write a draft, then message this to you for any changes, or additions you think necessary. However, I do think a new thread with this information would be far better coming from yourself or one of the more established and recognised staff/mods who will undoubtedly receive far greater notice and response than a relatively unrecognised member like myself.

Also, my suggestion would be to highlight this - an announcement, as it were - on the home page to get the widest attention possible. The more who respond, the more accurate a picture you would get for the viability of this proposal.

Hi, also, Armandii... As I said earlier to FC, I fully understand all of these reasons, and I can only suggest you take a look at to see how they have accommodated the concerns, rules and protocol that GC has in place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                                  Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.