1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Login time

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Labrador, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I do find on this site that unless you are actively on the site I get automatically logged out after a very short period of inactivity, i.e. if I hide the site and do something else on the computer I find that if I go back to it after ten or fifteen minuites I have to login again. It does get a bit tedious to have to keep doing that. Is there any particular reason for this?

2. coucou

coucou Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thought it was just my pc playing up, I had noticed I was getting disconnected from the site rather quickly too

Jane x

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "It does get a bit tedious to have to keep doing that. Is there any particular reason for this?"

I expect you are allocated a Session, and that is probably 10 or 15 minutes, or so.

If you remain inactive for that long your session will terminate.

This is handy in Public Libraries, and the like, in case you wander away from a public PC without logging off / closing the browser.

I remain permanently logged on, and I presume that is because I ticked some "Keep me logged in" box somewhere - probably on the login screen?

4. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see anything like that, just had a look

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hiya,

Teah it trips you out, tick the remember me box and when you return click new posts or whatever function you want and it will automatically log you iback in.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) Hi, you might need to clear your cookies out as well..:thumb: If you do this first, then log into GC, ticking the "Remember me" box 1st, you should then stay logged in all the time & each time, if you don't log out..:)

Marley.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Mornin' Marley,

I will have to have a chat with you some time about this new famgled computer widget stuff. Thick as a brick with this stuff me!

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) Morning Claire..:D The more you do things the easier it becomes..!!;):D To clear your cookies out just run your spyware. Do you have Spybot or Ad-Aware or the like, do you know.? If you do just run them when you are not using your computer. Just run one after another & they will clear all your cookies, bots, trojens or whatevers out..! But check your screen now & then..
    Then the next time you log on your PC will run faster, BUT, you will probably have to log back into GC etc, but just tick all the remember me boxes & you are back to normal. :) It is a good thing to do at east weekly..!;):D

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Chuck,

I might have all those things but I`m ******ed if I know!

There are things I like to do weekly but clearing out my cookies as yet is beyond me.

I have been known to sit in front of the screen for lengths of time waiting for pages to load etc and I have a pop up blocker on! DOH!

10. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :) OK...:D Do you know anyone who does run either or both of them or would know how to show you.? It is very easy, but sometimes we feel more confident if we have someone there...;) :D It is always much better if someone shows you how to do it & talk you through doing it the 1st time really, but I can tell you if you like..:thumb:

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "clear all your cookies"

Beware that will also clear out all your remembered logins, and "preferences" at many sites.

I do it the other way about, which is a bit more tedious, but getting the browser to ask me if it can store a cookie, and I also use techie-tools to prevent storage of information about my browsing habits.

So I can "always allow" cookies from G.C., and "always deny" cookies from Trade Doubler and any dubious outfits.

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb::thumb: Yes, like I said, you will have to log in again but as long as you tick the boxes it takes only secs & you are in then until you clear them again.. It is important to do it as trojens etc will get in & work against you slowing your machine, but it is entirely personal preference as to how you do it....;):D We all have our favourite ways..!!:D

13. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    this should help
    in windows run disk clean up.
    to find :if you click on start(bottom left) then hover over all programs and then find system tools
    a picky is easier to understand so i did this just for you
    [​IMG]#

once you find the disk clean up you should be looking at a screen like this
    [​IMG]
    now all you need to do is click on the relivent boxes put a green X (sorry i could not find a tick) in the box you require. and finaly click ok

wolla jobs a goodun:thumb:

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Marley,

You do of course realise that just turned my head into mushy peas!!

But i will now try-if you never hear from me again, well...........lucky little sausage!!

15. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    I use CCleaner to clear my cookies.

Easy to download this free programme and it seems
    quite effective and it really speeds up your computer.
    I just click on it perhaps once a day - depends on how
    much time you spend on your computer - and it only
    takes a minute or so to clear the cookies.

Anybody else use it?

:thumb: