1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

long life ornamental orange fruit - over 1 year old

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by coll, Jan 28, 2006.

1. coll

coll Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone throw light as to why my ornamental orange tree still has one remaining orange fruit after 1 year plus!!!!

I have a small ornamental orange plant living in a South facing conservatory - it is not oversized - about 15" high. Since end September 2004, that same one small orange has remained fixed in place on its stem and seems reluctant to leave me. It went through its first winter of 2004 fine - through to the Spring 2005 and into Summer and only started to dry out well after its first birthday. It is now 28 Jan 2006 and although it is withered now, it still hangs firmly attached to its branch. During the last Summer I did not have many more tiny oranges, only a few, though it blossomed and fruited slightly. I have now also had two other smaller oranges hanging since end Summer last year. I bought it three years ago.

I am totally bewildered as I always thought fruits were a short lived thing and have never heard of such a long fruit life.

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.

[ 28. January 2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: coll ]

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi coll, I hope you like the forum. I think you've done well to keep your orange plant alive and thriving for three years. I have no idea why this fruit is hanging on!

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2