1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lonicera help

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by dandanuk, May 19, 2013.

1. dandanuk

dandanuk Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi guys I bought 2 lonicera hallienas a few weeks ago, there growing fine where I planted them but some of the leaves and buds are starting to look sheveled and tatty I wondered what it could be any one offer any advice?

They have good sun and well drain soil , I'd upload a pic but it won't allow me too says my pics are too big a file

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Huh, those hallianas look dishevelled and tatty a lot of the time IME. Hang on in there, they are tough, and once you get them established they will be poking their scruffy little shoots everywhere. My mother has a plant which sends runners across a concrete platform 12 ' across, putting down roots wherever it encounters a teaspoonful of soil.

They are supposed to be "evergreen". and they are, more or less, but not in a tidy way.

The consolation is, they smell wonderful!

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Hi Dan

I bought one last year around this time, planted it up and after a few weeks began to look a bit 'thin' and unhappy (full sun, well drained soil). Had other things going on at the time so didn't give it much mind at all!

A few weeks ago, it is full, green looking totally splendid! Very much :wow:

So, from that, I'm guessing that when it comes into vigorous growth (this time of year) it looks great; other times it looks a bit 'thin'.

I'd say stick with it, don't let it dry out and this time next year you will be loving it!

As for Madahhlia's experiences, I actually don't mind if it wants to put down roots ah hoc because it is in the 'copse' end of my garden and I'll be ok with it doing that.

• dandanuk

dandanuk Gardener

Ratings:
      +41
      Thank you, you have also put my mind at rest, I will sit it out and make sure they get all they need.