1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Inspiration...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Phil1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Phil1

Phil1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys! Newbie here!

I'm looking for some inspiration on what to do with the current garden.

We had it cleared, partially levelled and some decking put down so we've more usable space. I'm struggling to think of what to do with the rest of the area though.

It's on a very steep slope (as you can probably tell by the steps) and it's pretty tough going in terms of digging (lots of stones and clay about 6" down).
    Another thing I struggle with is horsetail/mares-tail which is coming through from the neighbours side. I do have some Curtail which seemed to kill it last year but it was a bit late in the year to start properly.

I'm thinking some shrubs of some sort towards the top just below the flag stones, and perhaps some turf at the very top between the flag stones and the fence?

The rest of the area I've no idea really!

I'd prefer not to have too much towards the bottom as the retaining part of the decking is used as a bench also.

[​IMG]

You'll have to try and ignore the crap on the right hand side, and the piles at the top, they're going to the tip shortly!

2. DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +772
    Hi Phil1 and welcome.

Your garden already has a nice slope, why not put it to good use and create a rockery garden with a water feature?
    The rockery (plus bark chippings) will also help with drainage.
    Judging by the number of steps, I guess that the height difference between the back and the front of your garden must be around 1.6 meters or there about, something to consider for the water feature pump as this (together with the required flow rate) will determine the "head" required.
    P1gardenIdea.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Phil1

Phil1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow cheers for that. Appreciate the effort, however I don't really think I'm after a water feature. The rockery idea seems a good one though. What's the best sort of stone to use for something like that?

• DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +772
      Hi @Phil1

The type of stone/rock is entirely up to you.
      If you want a modern look then go for the more "rounded" black and white ones.
      If you prefer the more "classic" or natural look, rather use more jagged stone but stick to one type/colour of stone or it will look a bit odd.

Which ever stone you use, keep in mind transportation costs (hence look for local stone )and where it can be delivered relative to your yard.
      Carrying several tons of stone and boulders 100 meters is no fun.

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Just my two pence. But to me your garden lacks division. Even though it's small doesn't mean it can't be divided further. I would put a pergola over the decked area and then create another area of some sort with the bare patch of earth.

For this area you need to be a bit more specific with your needs. Do you want something low maintenance? Flowering plants, wildlife interest etc?

• Like Like x 1
      • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
        +772
        Nice idea.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Good idea, a pergola would add a sense of privacy. I think it needs another path so you don't just go up and back the same way. Maybe replace the rill with a stone diagonal path - but would need a set of steps to bring it down onto the decking.

• Like Like x 1
        • DIY-Dave

DIY-Dave Gardener

Ratings:
          +772
          What also looks nice is a mix of stone and railway sleepers.
          Something like this:

Path.jpg

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          Agreed. Perhaps maybe dividing up the bare patch into terraces so the paths go from right to left rather than just straight up the to of garden.