1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for weed and moss killer but NO feed.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Calum, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi I'm looking for a weed and moss killer (not killing the grass) but the only ones I have found contain feed also. I would rather not do this as I fed my lawn 7 days ago.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Verdone Extra or Vitax Lawn Clear - liquid selective lawn weed killer to spray or water on. Don't compost the clippings and don't put the first few mowings in your Green bin (see instructions for more details)

Iron Sulphate to kill the moss (and magically green-up your lawn!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Is there any substance that will do weeds and moss together? save buying two products?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Usually more cost effective to buy separately. You can just treat the areas that need doing and can do it at optimum time, so it is hopefully cheaper that way ... however, it is more of your time to apply them separately, so less convenient.

Fertiliser and Moss Killer needs to be absorbed by the Roots, herbicide by the leaves (I have no idea how Weed & Feed kills weeds, if it is by contact with the leaves it will be a lot less efficient than a spray. With Weed and Feed you have to treat the whole lawn, so unless you have weeds "all over" you are treating areas that don't need the herbicide.

I don't know of a Weed & Moss killed which does not also have a Feed component. You can get ones with Autumn Feed (if you are anxious not to put too much Nitrogen on the grass at this time of the year)

• Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Ahh I should clarify, this is for a lawn restoration and yes my lawn is 80% weeds so going to do the whole thing at once.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I think at this time of the year you run the risk [if you kill off lots of weeds in your lawn] that the grass won't thicken by the winter and thus the weeds get a hold again next season, so it would best to plan to over-seed in the Autumn. Maybe you are planning to do that? (Sorry if you've mentioned it already / in another thread ... too many to keep in my head!)

You should not be treating the lawn if it is stressed from drought. Mine definitely is, but depends what part of the country you are in (popping your Location in your profile would be handy for reference)

• Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Most definitely not stressed from drought!! haha. Live in West Scotland. Its Soaking!

• Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Will the weedkiller kill my lobelia and voilas which are in a border alongside the lawn?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      If it comes into contact with them then Yes,