1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

loos rolls as root trainer containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by LooseLotty, Mar 18, 2007.

1. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had really good results using toilet rolls to plant sweet peas and beans. Has anyone else done this? [​IMG]

2. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I always use old loo rolls for this, it always works, also useful for poppies as their roots must not be disturbed, so I can just pop them into the ground once grown on a bit. I like to start everything off in pots.

3. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used them for Peas, Sweetpeas and sunflowers. The sweetpeas are coming along fine indoors. The sunflowers a bit slower in the cold frame

4. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just planted tomatoes and sweet peppers in them - only because i wanted to plant and had nothing to plant in. I am totally a beginner and just htought it woudl be okay. I also used cut down inners of kitchen rolls. I was just wondering how long they last through all the wetness.

5. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted my sweetpeas about five weeks ago and they are still retaining their shape. I put them in blocks of four, loosely secured with elastic bands then placed them in deep trays. I opened one up slightly to have a look and the roots are doing quite well

6. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    There good aren't they? i find they don't fall apart and you can plant them straight in the ground.
    I wish I knew that about poppies not liking to be disturbed. I've started some californian poppies off in a small propagater and they need moving now. I hope they survive!
    Also ,has anyone used the plastic trays that veg come in (musrooms for example).They are great for seed trays as long as you put holes in.
    Anyone use anything else that would normally be thrown away?

7. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm like Albert Steptoe when it come to re-using things. I plant in virtually anything; especially if it has a clear lid! The best things I use (because they fit so well) are Onken Yoghurt pots (which are clear) and they fit perfectly onto 3 inch pots as propogator lids. My house looks like a junk yard at the moment with various pots all over the window sills!

8. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I sow my sweet peas, toms, and broad beans in loo rolls. Infact my broad beans need to be planted out, but it will have to wait until the weather is better.(and now i've finished all the loo rolls we'd saved, i shall start saving them again!

9. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, how do you seal the bottoms of the loo rolls over?

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    You don't need to, r200 - what we do is to have them in a pot with compost, so they sit upright on top of that. Don't know if that's what others do....

11. LooseLotty

LooseLotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't seal the bottom I just sit them on a plate!

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Pack'm in a tray so they don't fall over - easy peasy!

I use just about anything remotely resembling a pot - including old tupperway and pudding basins! I've also used rolled up tubes of newspaper!

13. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.

Ive used them for:
    Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday carrot too.

The roots seem to really form well. Cant see me buying pots any more !