1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots to do and no clue

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Graeme Mckay, May 29, 2019.

1. Graeme Mckay

Graeme Mckay Apprentice Gardener

Train driver
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is my first post on the forum. Thank you in advance for any hints and tips. Ive got a large mostly untouched garden. Conditions vary from damp, full shade, rich soil, north facing in one corner to poor well drained south facing soil at the front and a large exposed lawn.
    I've been in the house for 8 years and the garden hasn't been touched other than grass cutting until last year.
    The damp area was weeded and ferns planted, the lawn was wild and had well established weeds so I've been strumming, weeding and feeding and slowly getting on top of that.
    Completely lifted the weeds and lawn from the front and created new beds and sown new lawn around a temporary slab path. To stop people from taking a short cut over the grass seeds while they germinate (hopefully) I have 3 large hand cut, very old, very heavy stone troughs. I would like to plant these.
    Is there a way to stop these flooding when planted? I don't have drills big enough to make holes and wouldn't do that anyway.
    Can I hang something over the side to use capillary action to drain them?

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,605
    Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sure everyone here will be of great help nowever we need a little help from you first please.

If you are able to add your location and zone, then suggestions can be geared to take your growing area into consideration. I.e. no one suggesting growing palms at the north pole :)

Again, welcome!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      A welcome from me too.

Perhaps you can post some photos which will help others make some suggestions?

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,632
      Hi @Graeme Mckay , welcome! :)

What do you like, what do you need? Do you prefer a wilder garden or section, or formality? A pond? Do you want to grow edibles, and if yes, how seriously? Do you like structural plants or an abundance of flowers and colour? Any trampoline needs?

A list of must haves, likes and wants would be helpful alongside some photos.

The stone troughs sound very exiting. If they are deep enough, placing 20-30cm drainage material in the bottom will give you an idea how much excess water it can hold, then it just depends on the rainfall. A light cover or shelter in winter is probably a good idea.

The capillary overflow works if the soil is desperately overwet (wisdom acquired after some post-holiday disasters :redface: ) but I'm not sure about it as a permanent solution. Or at least can't think of a material that would do the trick but not rot where it stays in touch with the soil.

Looking forward to seeing some photos, you will have some grand time this summer with the project. :)

• Graeme Mckay

Train driver
      Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks for the replies. I live in West Lothian, Scotland. I'll post some photos of my efforts so far tomorrow.

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,373
    • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      Just popping in to say welcome to the forum Graeme. In my experience pestering everyone with questions, everyone is great here!

• Graeme Mckay

Train driver
      Ratings:
      +2
      Still not posted photos yet. Basically because I don't have an f*#king underwater camera.
      This gardening caper is starting to feel like p*#sing in the wind. Started from scratch. Good weeded and mown after a week of rain the only things that have grown is weeds and grass. Going to have to start again in the spring. Seem to have skipped summer and gone straight to autumn.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,534
      Be careful with your language Graeme or you may find yourself being warned by admin. That said you're obviously getting frustrated with what's happening in your garden. Don't try to achieve everything at once and concentrate on one part of your garden at a time, you will find it easier to cope with mentally and physically. I moved into my current home under two years ago, the gardens had been neglected and living in a rural position I am still retrieving them from nature. I don't expect to get them under control for at least another year and that's before I think about any particular layout or planting. Gardening is something you can't rush and taking your time allows you to think about the progress you want to make.

What area do you live in please? It will give us an idea as to your climate and what conditions you are working with. If you could place it in your avatar box, a glance at that is all we need to give you advice.

I don't see why you have to start again in the Spring, if the weather in your area is not in drought you can treat your lawns now. It's been raining here for more than a fortnight and Spring growth combined with the rain means the lawns are growing rapidly. As gardeners we must have patience and catch up when the weather allows. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        "Lot's to do and no clue?"

You're not on your own. I'm sure some of us have been in a similar, but worse situation.

"All the gear and no idea."

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +8,265
          I had a plan today: If it rained I would dust & hoover the downstairs; came back from shopping soaking wet and fed up so I only ran the carpet sweeper around. Did cheer myself up with a cuppa and a Cadburys Flake.

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          Steady light rain, so no gardening. Gardens probably need it, although I put quite a bit of water on ours myself last night. What rain we've had recently isn't nearly enough.

Watched Joanne Konta beat Sloan Stevens 6-1 6-4. The commentators had only given her a 50/50 chance of winning.

• Mossy Rocks

Mossy Rocks Apprentice Gardener

gardener
          Ratings:
          +18
          The first thing to do is regularly check the BBC weather app as the Jet Stream has persistently swathed your area in rain for many months now; occasionally swinging south but always returning to that band over Ulster/Strathclyde and northwards.
          Perhaps you could consider plants that don't mind keeping their feet wet for long periods and enjoy a cooler climate, such as alpine plants.
          You could use an area to create a rockery, using one or two of those stone troughs as a feature or, if you have a slope, to hold back soil to make a shaded area for plants that enjoy thick wet soil.
          I live in a river valley so the undersoil is thick with clay and lies only a meter down.
          Great for fruit trees:biggrin:
          Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
          • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
            +455
            My weather forecast is rain right through to next week. Just gotta go with the flow as frustrating as it can be!

IMG_1698.JPG

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411

The BBC weather forecast is a joke. It's not been credible since even before Carol Kirkwood was on "Strictly."

If you go onto the "red button" weather forecast and check out "North." Trafford is at the bottom of the page.
            If you go onto "Midlands," Trafford is at the top of the page.
            You never see weather icons in any of these places, as it's "Area 51" as far as the forecasters are concerned, as they haven't a clue what goes on there.

The on-line Met weather forecast is not much better.

I check the weather forecast three times a week, before I go to play golf. Then make sure I've got my wet gear and umbrella with me whatever the BBC forecast says.

• Like Like x 1