1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Love your garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Verdun, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hey! Im taller than them and, er, Im taller than them :sad:

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
  3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    I gave up watching GW when AT left. As mentioned above, he had a solid background in amenity horticulture, as well as the ability to present the programme in an interesting way. If there's anyone who should never have been allowed anywhere near the cameras, IMHO, it's Joe Swift, closely followed by Monty Don!

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I watched LYG last night , another good show with the usual budget that you and I could only dream of. This week they planted a fully mature Japanese maple tree , possibly 18 feet tall. Now how much would that cost with delivery !

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,938
      I like Monty, I like how he's not afraid to try new things and make mistakes, he cares about wildlife, he's crazy about his dogs (and they him) and his garden is fab.

Both shows get the thumbs up from me!

:love30::dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        I shall be ordering three :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Ooops! Friends. Have I rocked the boat? Briefly. We here on GC have at least one thing in common. We all love gardens and gardening. I don't recall having said that I'd never met Alan, strange, as we are both long-term members/fellows of the RHS.

Neither have I spoken against Alan's qualifications. Yes he has worked hard and like myself, he has this aptitude for study and learning. I take my hat off to him for all he has done.

Mention has been made by members about Monty Don & Joe Swift. IMO. Monty is also being used by the media in a similar vein to Alan. I'll say no more relating to Monty's methods of gardening. However, he like Alan have both studied journalism and to read their books is an insight. Monty has done a few DVD's as has Alan. Monty's guidance through some of the great gardens of the world, his narrative and the actual naming of plants is most interesting. Poor old Joe. For some reason, he always appears to me to be. Little Boy Lost. Being a garden designer, he obviously loves gardens, but probably sees plants in a different way than you & I might.

Back to TV and the media. Relating to gardening. I'd like to see more of the more practical side. How did you grow that plant? etc. Wowee! I'd love to redesign my garden, pop along to the garden center and spend spend at no expense and suddeny have an instant fully established garden. Sorry I was nodding off then and dreaming.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,161
          Not at all, we respect your opinions Mike and we love to debate the pros and cons of the TV presenters. We have had several threads in the past on this and it polarises opinions.

Beechgrove garden certainly ticks all the boxes for practicality and genuine down to earth presenters for me.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Watched a recording of BG...how it started etc. The friendliness of the prog seems always to have been :)
            BG is a joy to watch :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,090
              Imho the Beechgrove is the most educational. The rest i would class as Tv entertainment only.

For me youtube offers the best information and has a wealth of people with great info,tips,and hacks.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                Don't recall ever having watched that. Most of my spare time is spent studying. Have to keep an eye out and watch it. Thanks.

• Cassie

Cassie Gardener

Ratings:
                +201
                WeeTam, I think I agree. Gardening shows are a bit like cooking shows, entertaining to watch but how often do you actually go on and make the recipe?

I tend to search for specific instructional videos on YouTube if I am wanting to learn something particular. TV presenters need to be generalists, and I would rather learn how to e.g. prune an apple espalier from the nerdy and not particularly photogenic apple espalier enthusiast who thinks of nothing else and has been experimenting with their technique for 20 years.

I have been watching some of Monty Don's programs about historical/international gardens on YouTube (Australian) and loving them. Haven't seen much of him actually in the garden yet, but he's an excellent presenter.

Will check this one out if I can find it online.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1