1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lovely poppy - annual or perennial?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sadowska, Oct 4, 2011.

1. sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, any idea what type of poppy this is please? It appeared this year (didn't see it last year after we moved in) - large red or pink flowers, and wide leaves which had a more silvery tint to them earlier on (think they have deteriorated a bit now). The leaves are smooth, not hairy. Based on a google the flowers look a bit like orientales but the foliage doesn't match up... I'd mainly like to find out whether they are annuals or perennials, ie should I move them to a better location, or should I save and sow the seed?!
    thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    They look like Papaver somniferum to me - opium poppy. Generally they do just turn up, that's the joy of them, and yours will probably have scattered loads of seed about to ensure the next generation. It's a great idea to collect and sow the seed if theres any still in the pods. It is annual or biennial, so i wouldn't bother moving it, they don't transplant well usually, anyway.

3. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    Had a few of these pop up this year myself, never had any appearing before...must be in the bird mix. Did have a beautiful purple one though :D Good for a free plant!!

:loll: