1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Low maintenace screen tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Steveb21, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Steveb21

Steveb21 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good evening,

I am looking to get some screening to the side of my garden (corner plot property).

Fence is currently 6ft.
    Ideally want screen of up to about 9ft/3m-ish.
    Would pleached trees be a good idea? I am planning on changing my fence and would prefer any screening above it.

Area is near an inground concrete swimming pool so I need to be cautious about any leaves etc dropping and blowing into the pool - more maintenance!

What kind of options do I have here?
    I have attached an image and drawn a red line to where I would like some kind of screening.
    Fencesidetrees.jpg

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    Hi @Steveb21 I think I'd be more worried about the tree roots close by the pool. Leaves are an inevitable consequence of plants - either all at once if deciduous, or all through the year if evergreen. How close is the fence to the pool? Looks about 2m to me.

3. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,648
    Rather than a tree, I'd consider an evergreen shrub that would lend itself better to the situation.
    Magnolia grandiflora can be pruned as an informal wall shrub. Others could be pyracantha, prunus laurocerasus, griselinia littorilis and even photinia or pittosporum or eleagnus. Maybe a fargesia?
    Most of my suggestions would require a going over once a year, twice tops

4. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    I'd say your best bet is probably a bunch of long trough pots and some bamboo. Good screen, relatively attractive, quick to grow, fits into that tight space, and if it's in pots then you don't have the problem of it spreading out and pushing up your paving.

5. Steveb21

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the suggestions all.

Apart from bamboo what else could be planted in pots to provide the screening I require?

6. Steveb21

Ratings:
    +1
    Graham,
    Something like this? Do most bamboo's have the long stem? Ideally I would want to clear most of the fence height with stem.

bamboo screening.jpg

7. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    Yes, all fairly much like that. How high they grow will depend on the bamboo, of course. Usually it takes them a couple of years to grow to full size.

8. Steveb21

Ratings:
    +1
    Just picking up on this again - now I have a little bit of spare time.

I can get hold of some large trough planters, size:
    1.2m Wide
    0.9m Height
    0.3m Depth

Similar to the below (not in pink though!)

Would i be ok to plant bamboo in such a trough? My idea being that the near 3ft in height for trough, adding another 3ft for stem to equal 6ft which is near enough size of fence height.... which would mean a good screen at fence height level.

What do you all think?
    Any specific bamboo I should be looking at for this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020