1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Low maintenance, all year colour for a grave.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Taz Devil, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Taz Devil

Taz Devil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I know this may seem a little bit morbid, but here we go.

I am looking to plant various low maintenance plants on my wife's, fathers grave.

I am looking to try and have all year round colour, the problem is I know two things about gardening and that's "nothing" and "sod all". So I have come here for some help and advice from you guy's and gal's.

My questions are:-

What plants would be best suited for each of the seasons.

Which of these are below 12 inches in height. I would like to keep the height below 12 inches so as not to make it too tall for a grave.

Is there anything I might need to do to the soil to prepare it ready for the plants. Would I be better planting them in their own individual compost pots.

any help would be greatly appreciated as this would make it a bit more bearable to visit with more than just bare soil to look down on.

Thanks in advance, more question will no doubt follow.

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,

I know what it will mean.

I would suggest you look at alpine plants, they tend to stay low and spread, come in a variety of colours and leaf shapes.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb: Hi Taz, I know ezactly what you are saying.. You could have Echeverias, several different ones for colour, they flower & are very colourful in themselves.. Alpines as Lolli says..Heathers, Lily of the valley, Euphorbia blue haze is quite a good one, plus you can use summer & winter bedding plants too, Pinks, Pansies, cyclamen.... :) Hope they help you..

4. Taz Devil

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll google the plants you have mentioned and get an idea as to what I am looking for.

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    When you're having a google, take a look at Cuphea - small (about 8"), evergreen, tiny pink, mauve or purple flowers (depending on which colour you buy) and slow growing. They'll grow in just about any soil with little or no help from anyone and can be relied upon not to go 'rampant' when your back's turned - and they're silly cheap.

6. Taz Devil

Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks. I am going to try and create a spread sheet of the plants mentioned here and also other plants found while searching for the ones you've all mentioned. This, I hope, will give me some idea as to when they flower so that I can try and get something that resembles constant colour throughout the year. Even some of the coloured leaf plants look good.

Once I have a list I will be back for a bit more advice, now back on with my Googling mission.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Taz, glad they were some help.. Another plant you might like to consider.. It is very slow growing & you can keep them small, is Christmas Box - Sarrocca Tiny white flowers & a heavenly scent..:thmb: