Low polytunnel, what would you sow?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by FrancescaH, Mar 10, 2021.

1. FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
    +549
    I've decided to convert one of our bark beds of shrubs into a strawberry patch. Wanted to grow them in a low tunnel to help keep the birds off them.

Well I worked out the length I've ordered if I lay out strawbs in a reasonable manner will give me space for.... 90 strawberry plants. Probably a bit much for a two person household!

So now I'm thinking I could use it for more crops and am looking for suggestions.

Ideally need summer-cropping stuff or at least early autumn. We're looking to move from this house from summer onwards (so I'm guessing we may end up moving around October). In a new property this will probably become an excellent coldframe/year round salad bed. But I need advice for what would go nicely this year.

I was planning to put lettuce, cabbage and courgette in my main bed but as far as I'm aware none of those will particularly benefit from the warmth of a polytunnel and in fact it'll probably cause my butterhead lettuce to bolt so is perhaps better to keep them in my raised bed (one side is a little shadier than the other).

Any other ideas? What do you grow that benefits cover even in summer?

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +755
    I find courgette does very well in the polytunnel here and benefits from the extra warmth. Also raspberry do better than the ones out doors but they do get a bit tall if you are looking to use a low polytunnel. The ones I have growing made their own way in and to be honest I would have just left them grow outside but now that they are there they are very productive and the fruit is usually better quality than the ones that still grow outside the tunnel.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Not a polytunnel grower, but as its a low one doubt there are many plants that would benefit from one in summer when you normally want them to get maximum sunshine and fresh air.

You do see Strawbs in large polytunnels like the commerical growers but for domestic use would think some simple netting over them as the fruit starts to turn red is all thats needed.

Also suspect they they might suffer from mould if it gets too moist under the tunnel and also be a haven for slugs and snails as the predators cannot get at them.

40 does sound a lot, probably 20 would be ample, though you could of course always freeze or make jam for any excess.

Planting different varieties will also give you a longer fruiting period and using the perpetual ones will extend into the autumn.