1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lumpy, bare moss covered lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by brd, Mar 21, 2005.

1. brd

brd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HELP! [​IMG]

Hi all.
    My back lawn is in a terrible state.
    Its very uneven, the grass is a very pale green colour and I can`t seem to get rid of the moss.

How can I make it level? Do I need to remove the old lawn and start again or can I just get a pile of top soil then cover it in grass seed and level it that way?

Why is it so pale in colour?

I would be very grateful for advice. I suppose that the next few weeks are when I should start to attack it?

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    By the sounds of it your current lawn is suffering from a lack of "food" or light or poor drainage (the moss) or all three. You're on the right lines of starting again from scratch, where you have several options of how to go about it. Personally, I would rotivate the old stuff in, remove as many of the perenial weeds and as much "rubbish" as you can, add some new top soil and a dressing of good general purpose fertilizer, roll it level and seed when the weather warms up a bit. Good luck!

3. brd

brd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply.
    the light it gets is quite good and theres not that many weeds.
    would you just buy bags of `TOP SOIL` from a gardening shop?