1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lupin Help Please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by prettypolly, Sep 11, 2007.

1. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello, only me again,
    I have grown some Lupins, gourgous when they were out but now the petals look like pea pods lol, which I presume is the seeds in there, my question is please, can I keep these and use them? They look quite fresh still, not "crunchy" lol If I can keep them would you suggest a dry and dark place till whenever.

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, pp. I think you're best bet would be leave them until the pods go brown, then harvest the seed. Keep them in an envelope over winter and plant them in the Spring. Technically they're biennial/perrenial which means they won't flower the 1st season but having said that, I did that and my "this years" sowings have all flowered, Good luck [​IMG]

3. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thankyou cajary, I didn't want to pick them only to ruin them all. I will do as you advised and keep fingers crossed, just hope I remember where I have put them when spring comes lol

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My pleasure. I have actually taught myself (thro' hard experience) to write on the envelope what they are. Everything goes in my "seed" drawer, which is on top of the display cabinet, then I can't lose them because my MBH keeps complainig about it. Then I'm constantly reminded :D

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi PP. I would agree with cajary about waiting till the pods go brown or black. I would then cut off the stems with seeds on and put them in a paper bag (they always say paper not plastic as damp seeds can rot in plastic). Actually if the material is dry I put them in a plastic shopping bag, which is open at the top. You can then wait till the seeds fall out by themselves, or extract them at your leisure. Mature Lupin seeds are generally black in colour.

When it comes to sowing them you need to get through the tough coating of the seed. There are three possible ways. 1) soak them in water - they will swell up and many will germinate in the water at which point I remove them and place them in a small pot. Even so not every one will manage to burst out. 2) You can 'chit' them (ie nick the seed coating with a knife or with sand paper). This creates a weakspot which allows the moisture to get in. or 3) You could prick them with a pin either dry or, more easily, after soaking.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi PeterS. How long do you soak them for? 24hrs, the same as Sweet Peas?

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would say 2 or 3 days. The seeds are normally black. You can see the ones affected by the water as they go pale brown and swell to double size. Within this period the ones that swell usually burst and a tint bud appears. I remove these, with tweezers, and put them on the surface of moist compost in a pot (or bury by a tiny amount). If the swollen ones don't germinate within say 4 days - they may not ever germinate. I often leave them in the water till enough have germinated then chuck the rest away. Some have coats so thick that they don't swell. These are the ones I prick with a pin to get them started.

You could always soak them for 24 hours then sow them in damp compost. Probably works just as well.