1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

lupins in container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by dunglass, Jul 27, 2006.

1. dunglass

dunglass Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i am a transplant from san francisco and after living seven years in flats in scotland i finally have my own deck and garden in glasgow. things are certainly different here....

at noon on last tuesday, which was very hot here in glasgow, my lupin, which grows in a container, was just fine. lots of tall flowers and upright leaves. at 6pm it resembled a gracefully dying bird, with the leaves all settled on the deck and the flower stalks actually curling in on themselves.

i've watered it thoroughly and while some of the leaves are standing up and the flower stalks have more or less straightened, it's now thursday and it still looks somewhat stunned and exceedingly pathetic.

there is some, but not much, new growth appearing amongst the old leaves.

should i cut it down, and if so, how do i do this?

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lupins are not very long lasting in flower. Sounds like the heat has stressed them. If the flowers have died then dead head them and you may get another small crop - feed too.

I love them but they give a disapointingly short display for the ammount of room they take up.