1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Macleaya microcarpa 'Coral Plume'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 16, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I am in the process of moving this plant and wondering if any of you know if you have to have a growing point on the roots or can you treat them as root cuttings? I really like this plant because of it's unusual shaped leaves which are almost blue in colour and doesn't need staking despite growing really tall . It isn't rampant here and seems to be slightly tender. I nearly lost the lot after the cold winter of 2010/11 and only now will I have enough to spare a few bits in my plant sale which I'm going to do next week...oh my back aches already at the thought. If I can get the roots to sprout growing points I'll be able to spare quite a bit more sections with growing points than if the roots won't sprout. Does this make sense:)? I know what I mean but can't really explain it in words!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    • Like Like x 2
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Oh thanks @Marley Farley. I have no idea where "Under the Edge Zone" is but if it is anywhere near Fife you'd be more than welcome to some. I am very much a fan of foliage and this plant is really quite unusual adding interest and height to my herbaceous borders. I'm surprised more people don't grow it. Snag here is it comes into growth now and often gets a big set back if we have late frosts.

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Ratings:
        +14,125
        @silu
        I am on the edge of the cotswolds so a lot further south than you :SUNsmile: but thanks for the offer, but I am going to the garden centre next week so will look for one then.. :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Lovely part of the world @Marley Farley . I have friends that live in Stow On The Wold. The Macleaya will probably be happier with you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            Stow is only about half hr from me @silu and yes it is very beautiful country..

I hope it will be happy in my garden as have just picked a spot for it.. :thumbsup::SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hello @Marley Farley did your plants go alright concerning them having to be moved for new fencing :what:

• Like Like x 1
              • Marley Farley

Ratings:
                +14,125
                Yes @Gail_68 they are all looking ok in pots or in other borders. Going to wait while they order in some different posts made of recycled plastic as they won’t rot! All the wood boards are fab it’s just the posts.. I shall paint the boards in a similar colour and the won’t really show then. :fingers crossed: I hope.. I want to get it so I won’t need to replace them again.. When the boards go I will look at it all again..:doh: At least it will on be the boards and rails and they are all done from the other side :biggrin:

Recycled Mixed Plastic Square Post with Point 90mm x 90mm

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Oh i am pleased mate...showed my hubby the posts as they look alright and he said they're composite posts and mixed with glue etc to make them solid...good idea though :dbgrtmb:...yes it's a costly game keep replacing...still doing it now :gaah:10yrs we've been here and all i get each year off hubby is it never ends :roflol:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Marley Farley

Ratings:
                    +14,125
                    This recycled stuff is becoming very tough.. Benches in our nearby town are made from it and they are standing up to use very well.. Been there a few years now and still look as good..

• Like Like x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Well we have garden furniture now in that black Granite plastic wicker...i got the main table and 4 chairs last year for on the decking and then two more chairs for on the slabbing besides small tables and it cleans up marvellous, it's strong and never loses it's colour.:)

• Useful Useful x 1