1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Mad Question..Here it is

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brass-icas, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Brass-icas

Brass-icas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken to soaking seeds for 24 hours prior to planting them, but, I struggle getting hold of the wet seed and also once I have it sticks to my hand.
    I came up with the idea of using a pippett dropper to overcome the problem but I can't find one with a big enough hole....anyone got any suggestions???????

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello use a very fine collander or tea strainer good luck

3. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mad answers to a mad mad qestion.

HI, my son says try a car shop.They sometimes have larger sizes in tools such as battery acid specific gravity test kits - whatever they are.

Failing that get a piece of clear tubing and some sort of soft ball that's hollow like a tennis ball. Drill a hole in the ball and push the tube in - make sure it's a tight fit. Then you can use the ball as the bulb part of the pipette and when you squeeze it and release it should draw a seed up.

You could just suck the seeds up with the tube - but you'd risk swallowing them.....

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    There are loads of pippettes on Ebay.
    Failing that you might try any really thin tube, aluminium, glass.

5. Brass-icas

Brass-icas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks, you are absolutely right Coralbat about the ones used in specific gravity tests I have seen them before when I helped out at a garage now you have mentioned it.

I will check Ebay for one Michaelmasdaisy.
    PS say one for the Black Cats...I think they will need all the help they can get this season ;)

6. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Now, now Brass-icas, who's talking about football? (We're keeping our fingers crossed for Canaries too!)

[ 14. August 2005, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

7. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    No worries at The Bridge ;)
    I use an artists paint brush and am able to transfer the seeds straight onto the rooting medium very easily.

8. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Oh, funnee!

9. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a plastic pipette you're using, can you slice it further up to make the hole bigger?