1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Madeira Tumbling Cherry Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Victoria, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    It's not often I've visited this section .... if ever .... but I am so chuffed. Last year my friend gave me three plugs of tumbling cherry tomatoes from Madeira .... little tomatoes which found their way into his suitcase! :lollol:I don't 'do' veg mainly because I have no place for it ... but there's always a place for cherry tomatoes.

Anyway, I left them in the pot after they finished .... and one has made it through the winter in it's strawberry pot. :yho:

[​IMG]

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    That's wonderful Victora. :gnthb: Is that pot outside? if so it must be a new hardy tom - I want one!! :D:)

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    :) Hi Blackthorn. Yes, the pot is outside on my kitchen patio and this time of year only gets a little late morning sun. We've also had touches of frost that have severely damaged some of my shrubs.

The friend who gave them to me has them planted all around his myriad of fruit trees in a quite open high ground location .... he underplants all his trees with veggies.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I know Portugal does get frosts, which is why I mentioned it. I thought anything below about 5 deg would see them off. Are they tasty ones?

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    :) Sweeeeeeet and firm .... just pick them off and pop in your mouth as you walk by ... :gnthb: I'll see about gathering seed .... :)

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Dead jealous Vicky:thmb:
    Do please post pics when you get your first toms, it will be interesting to see how much earlier you start munching than we do :)

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    I am really surprised, a few weeks on and I have my first flowers ....

[​IMG]

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    You have just got to save some seeds V
    Ive just seeded mine today so you are way ahead of us all.
    robert

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Bloomin 'eck..tom plants in Feb...and in flower too!!

Please may I join the list for seeds from these..:yho:

Good luck with them, hope you get a heavy crop.

Steve...:)

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    I sent some seeds off today from the late-ripenings I had in November/December to DAG and roders whom I had on the top of my list ... so we'll see if they have success .... :gnthb:

Steve .... you have noticed where I live, haven't you ???? :hehe: This little chappie overwintered on my kitchen patio and we do have some very light frost but it is perhaps a stronger strain having come from Madeira where it is year-round and my friend who brought it to me from Madeira has had them growing all over hell's half acre on his land through the winter .... and being in the hills he's in a 'cooler' location than I am here.

I'm wondering if they could survive in greenhouses there ????

If anyone else wants to have a go, please make sure I have your details. I think even these early ones will be too late for you guys to start but I could have them to you in the Autumn.

11. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    What a difference a 1000 miles makes in climate terms, my toms are only 3 inches high!

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    We've had very gusty weather these past few months and unfortunately my little truss-to-be of tomatoes just developing got blown off in the wind and I think took refuge in the orchard. However, I now have another not only in bloom ... but with little tomatoes .... :yho:

[​IMG]

I know this is probably weird, but the main stem got a little damaged in the wind ... so I splinted it and it seems to have worked .... :hehe:

[​IMG]

13. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    They look great Vicky, plump and luscious, soon be chomping on them no doubt. The splint thingy seems to work OK for most things if you catch it soon enough. I did it to a young fig tree that split down the middle in a gale, splint and bandages and lots of TLC, worked fine.

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,630
    s00k I have come back from my short holiday up North and discovered tiny black spots on my leaves ... the fruit looks okay and it's done very well in the past week except for this problem ... what is it ???? :cnfs::scratch:

15. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035