1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahonia - sick or not?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by merleworld, May 11, 2013.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I bought a couple of Mahonias online and emailed them as it appeared that some of the leaves were diseased. They asked me to send some pics, which I did.

They have replied stating :

"The leaves that are damaged are the older leaves which during spring will be dying to make way for this year's new growth. Some evergreens take on all sorts of colourations during the winter and either recover fully in the growing season or the leaf will die and be replaced. Plants that lose their leaves during winter do this process much quicker and in is less noticeable as they are not surrounded by fresh growth in contrast.

I have googled a few sites to see if I could find some examples of this, the best I can find is http://myshadygarden.com/2011/07/22/the-elusive-oregon-grape-holly/

The majority of plants we grow are grown outside rather than under glass, this makes for a stronger hardier plant capable of standing late frosts but does mean some winter colouring/leaf damage will show as they will in your own garden."

From the pics below, is this the case and am I being overly fussy? :scratch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Mine has similar looking leaves. So I guess it sounds possible. Mine is about 15 foot tall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368280580.425687.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368280602.173606.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368280619.795881.jpg

Rusty

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,977
      I dont think I would be overly bothered, this is one of mine, you can see new growth in the first picture is fine. (Excuse the weeds).
      May 13 024.jpg

May 13 026.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
      • lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +14
        Your mahonias do look sickly to me. I planted two last year, now about 18 inches tall and they look healthy with none of the leaf decay you have.