1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mail order woes. Money taken but no plants please help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    It can only happen to me. My problem is with Gardening Express. I placed an order just under £50. Stayed at 'processing' stage too long so made contact via their ticket system. No phone contact or direct email available. Got reply explaining they can take up to 15 days to process an order. Long but ok fair enough. Placed a second order for approx same amount as had plants I specifically wanted on special offer. First order still not arrived so checked account and second order showing as cancelled. I did not cancel it. Waited 20mins for online chat and they said they couldn't help me (not good!!) so raised another ticket enquiry but have had no response. I am being ignored. They have nearly £100 of my money having taken it from my bank account and I have no plants from either order. There is no way to contact them. I am in a state of panic. What should I do? I don't know where to get help from.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,490
      How did you pay cindy ? I am sure you can claim it back if you have used a card

• Like Like x 2
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Wish I could give you some good news but the online review sites for gardening express are not favourable, looks like they have a facebook page can you contact them there?

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Ok Cindy.....relax :)

I too read the online reviews for Gardening Express esp when my first order took longer than I expected.
          Again, once or twice they took a while to respond to me so I re read the online reviews and began to be convinced I was conned. When a ticket has been raised they do, eventually, respond.
          Online reviews can be misleading.....dismiss the worst of them and the best and regard those in between. This applies to everything. You only have to read of the experiences of folks on the forum buying plants....we all have our likes and dislikes
          :)
          However, my order duly arrived. For the price it was excellent. I ordered since without any problems ...just expecting more of a delay than usual from other suppliers.....some have been quickly supplied. I have even been rewarded with tokens for my custom

You will not be cheated in any way, I’m sure of that Cindy. Their special offers are clearly in demand and therefore will take longer.

I have had 2 Edgeworthias, one was very large, grasses, hydrangeas I could not get elsewhere, coronilla, and others. Cheaper than elsewhere and bigger too:)

Cindy, I’m sure you have no need to panic......you will get your money back or your plants. Sound like a rep for Gardening Express ....I’m not. I’m just familiar with such issues and consumer rights and know how to resolve them. Give GE a little longer, yes raise the issue again if necessary.

Keep us informed Cindy:)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
            +33
            I've also had problems with Gardening Express. Its a real problem trying to get in touch and get a useful reply at times. Their service and plant quality tends to be hit and miss. Mostly things have worked out eventually.

• Like Like x 1
            • ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
              Ratings:
              +1,016
              @Perki I payed by debit card so not sure on my rights
              @mazambo Unfortunately I no longer have facebook but will keep that in mind. Thanks

Sorry to hear but glad to hear that others have had problems with Gardeners Express......now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one!!! At least I know I'm not the only one.

@Verdun I shall take heart with your words and hope that the plants are indeed worth the wait and that I wont get cheated.

I managed to get them on live chat again today and INSISTED they help me. The name showing on the screen as my assistant was TIA and she informed me the order was cancelled during the ordering process. I asked why they had taken the money then and she said it was because debit payments were taken at point of ordering!!! There is a lie in there somewhere but Im so stressed I cant figure it out anymore. She replaced the order as FOC and said it was their busiest time of year...….what absolute tosh. Enquiring as to my FIRST order placed on the 2nd it is apparently still being processed. As I said Gardeners EXPRESS??? oxymoron.
              I will NEVER use them again and I don't care what plants they have that Id love coz I wont even look at their website EVER again.
              Ill hold my hands up and say I couldn't really afford to spend that much at once at the moment but I am of late impetuious, reckless, foolhardy and stupid and maybe I deserved this to all go wrong. I cant even face going in the garden today. I hope I haven't spoilt this for myself.
              Thanks for all your input people.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Cindy, judge them when you get your plants. :)

Never pay with debit card online either.......use PayPal or credit card. You are then protected in the event of a problem :)

I think Gardening Express is indeed busy, if not inundated, hence a backlog of orders to process.

Sorry things have gotten to you lately......I have a heavy punchbag, legacy of boxing, that I use to get my frustrations out and let off steam :)

Hopefully, all will end up well.:)

• Informative Informative x 1
                • ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
                  Ratings:
                  +1,016
                  @Verdun I always pay by Paypal when its an option but Gardeners Express don't offer that or at least it wasn't showing as so and I don't have a credit card anymore. Since my life blew up its easier that way. If I don't have the money I cant spend it. My bank card which is an HSBC current account debit card does however have a great big VISA logo on it so I may be covered that way? I'll email my bank and ask if it comes to it. Im at the point now that no matter how great their plants are they don't deserve anymore of my money. It cant be right that an order placed and paid for 9 days ago hasn't even been passed for picking yet. As a company they are a joke and my main issue with them is any company that blatantly lies to you isn't to be trusted.:nonofinger: I hope nobody else has to suffer these problems. Just hope its all resolved soon. :noidea:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Cindy, I think you are over worrying and panicking. Far too soon for that.:)
                    What you are doing is like watching the kettle boil!!
                    GE is not a con.
                    Post a picture when your plants arrive......they are covered with a warranty if you are displeased with them.
                    I keep saying this but I have received several plants from them and will order again if an offer looks good and I am neither a fool nor am I gullible :)

As a matter of context ..perhaps....I have placed an order elsewhere online. “Delivery can take up to 30 days”. I am more than happy to wait .....plants not available elsewhere, besides, although large, they are for potting on for next year :noidea:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,640
                    Sounds like the company needs to sort out its communication if it wants to continue selling online.

They may be good, and the plants might arrive eventually, and they may be amazing, but if you don't communicate you have no right to be selling online.

• Agree Agree x 4
                    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                      +12,320
                      I cant belive this is still going on with this company and they are still going ... I had a plant arive in a pot with my address on the pot how that plant stayed in is beyond belief or it was exepted to post lol

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
                      • Informative Informative x 2
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,330
                        That's almost correct but with a proviso. To be protected for credit card payments under Section 75 of the Act you need to have paid a minimum of £100. I'm pretty sure that two separate orders would not fit the requirement.

Paypal have their own cover no matter what method of payment you use but still have some wriggle room in their wording.

Debit cards do have some protection but not under a law such as credit cards have. Having said that, almost all banks will give you help. You need to contact your debit card company and explain that you have not received the goods, they have cancelled half of your order but have not refunded you. you then ask for a Chargeback on the payment. This means that they will hold back that amount from GE's account until they have given a satisfactory answer or repaid you. They don't have to do this but all debit card companies are part of the voluntary Chargeback scheme. It usually works very well in getting your money back. :blue thumb:

Best wishes :)

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,330
                          Hi @cindy how is the situation with Gardener's Express? I hope they have sorted the problem. I'll PM you when I have some time but it would be interesting to hear the result. :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Verdun

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            Cindy gave us feedback a few days ago elsewhere Shiney
                            :)

• ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
                            Ratings:
                            +1,016
                            @shiney more specific answer.
                            2x Honeysuckle. 1 a twig with 6 damagef leaves on top 2". Other one was literally a twig with zero green.
                            2x dwarf rhododendrons. One dying now dead. Other one leaves green but all buds dried out.
                            2x hibiscus. Lots yellow leaves and not a single bud.
                            Daphne. Ok size but no buds and lots yellow dead leaves.
                            Clematis Armandii. At least a third of leaves brown or damaged.
                            Considering all advertised as flowering or in bud when in season and garden ready words fail me. As can't email or phone company I've written to founder/CEO a very strongly worded letter. Plants ordered on 2nd arrived on 29th.