1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Making my hydrangea blue

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Val.., Jul 20, 2013.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I am growing Hydrangea serrata Blue Bird in a pot, it is growing in ericaceous compost but the flowers are coming out pink?:scratch: so I am going to use aluminium sulphate on it, how safe is this stuff? I have read that it can sometimes burn the roots, any advice muchly appreciated.

Val

2. Doug Harding

Doug Harding South coast mr nice guy

Garden centre manager/horticulturalist...
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hiya
    By using rusty nails or sulphate of iron the hydrangea will turn more blue .. Probably the ericaceous compost has a balanced ph level
    Rusty nails around the plant, would work ...watering the plant with a scoop of sulphate of iron would also work ... Sulphate of iron is also a great moss eradicator for your lawn when added to sand etc
    Or you can buy hydrangea colorant from your local garden centre

3. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Thanks Doug, well you obviously haven't heard anything detrimental about doing this, I am going to use the Vitax colourant as pictured and apparently this contains aluminium sulphate.
    I seem to be a bit short of rusty nails!! :)
    Unknown.jpeg

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,996
    I think you really should have started adding it a bit earlier in the growing season.:)

5. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I would have but I didn't know the flowers were going to be pink!!! they are supposed to be blue!!:dunno:

Val

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You haven't been sold a "pink pup" have you, Val???:dunno::scratch::heehee: I had the same problem as you and since I really disliked the shade of pink my plant was I gave it away and have got three White Hydrangeas.:snork:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Aluminium sulphate will be a effective than an Iron based material, although chucking some rusty iron in there will help (and will carry on working for some years to come of course ...)

I've not read that - perhaps its the acidifying effect?

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Ericaceous compost is, I believe, only around the pH 6.5 mark. Strictly speaking, 7 is neutral, but in horticultural science terms (and I'm quoting theory now), 6.8 is considered neutral, so ericaceous compost is not really very acidic at all.

I was told that Flowers of Sulphur is what you need to significantly lower pH. If rusty nails was enough to make a big difference, then every patch of soil I've ever dug should be acidic.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Yup, but for Hydrangeas turning blue its not just the pH that's the issue, but also the presence of Aluminium (and maybe other metals, but Aluminium has been shown to be the most effective and is what is used commercially when "forcing" Blue Hydrangeas). Its worth watching the pH of the irrigation water though - particularly in hard water areas - rainwater would be better, and avoid Phosphate in the fertiliser (the middle value of the N-P-K should be significantly lower than the N or K, and for flowering then K should be higher than N - double would be good, so for example an N-P-K ratio of around 10 : near-zero : 20).

Because Aluminium Sulphate (rather than other forms of Aluminium) contains Sulphur that will help to lower the pH.

I think this may only be a problem if applied to roots that are dry, water the plants (plain water) first so that aluminium sulphate solution is not applied to plants that are dry.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Val..

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Well I bought it from Crocus and they are usually very dependable with their plants.

Val

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Even if you are not sure its worth leaving it a couple of years, their behaviour is more "like type" when they have matured a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,996
          Remember years ago taking cuttings from what was a pink Hydrangea from a friend.

It then turned blue after I added some Aluminum sulphate.

I think Hydrangeas are very variable when given different growing conditions, and watering with tap water will probably affect the ph of erecacious compost long term.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1